Defective MP

joseph_barbano

Trevor,one should just deal with the situation.I never meant to imply that one accept a

faulty device.If I purchase a product that is clearly defective,I return it for a new one, or get

a refund.I don't take it personally.And I don't phone up all my friends immediately and

whine at length about such gall and effrontery perpetrated by the manufacturer.

Donald: These QC issues are not just a once in awhile thing. Seems like they're just too common these days and hardly what one should expect with a camera as expensive as the MP. Some of us seem to worry a lot about film becoming extinct. It may just be that Leica will become extinct long before that happens. It will be interesting to see what happens to M sales when the new ZI hits the market next spring.

This topic is nothing new - see this thread from a few years ago. The fact is Leica's are built in a totally different way in many respects to how they were in the glory days of the M2/3/4.<p>They simply cannot afford to build them like that again.<p>

<a href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=002dk3">Leica M quality and pricing - don't make me laugh!</a>

Hey, people, nothing's perfect! When was the last time you bought a new auto that didn't have at least one niggling little defect? Before posting our petty gripes here, Leica should be given the chance to make thing right, which they WILL DO. There seem to be more Leica bashers here than supporters, with many not even using Leicas, but Leica clones. Yes, its disturbing when things go wrong, but no company will go further to accomodate a customer than Leica.

Concerning the MP, I have one and I love it! If I could buy one without a built in meter, I would do so. I don't like any electronics or batteries in my cameras. They don't make anything easier, they only introduce another source of trouble.

Concerning the M7 with the blinking light, is the lens cap removed?

Best regards, Bill

"Concerning the MP, I have one and I love it! If I could buy one without a built in meter, I would do so. I don't like any electronics or batteries in my cameras."

You're in luck! You can now get a meter-less MP, it sells for $6500. Leica's only charging $3700 to leave out the meter. But better hurry because Leica is only making 500 of them. Though I wouldn't be surprised if Leica makes the meter deletion a $500 option on the a la carte menu...after all 500 are sold to speculating collectors of course.

The problem with assertions like "all the old Leicas I've owned work great and I've had to

have two warranty repairs" is that there's likely <i>survivorship bias</i> affecting that

result.<p>

Cameras which are still trading in the used market today have survived the initial

evaluations by their owners, the trips back to Leica for repairs, and of course the trashbin

in Weitzlar where the Leicas that cannot be repaired went.<p>

-- Mark