Coolscan iii & SCSI not working

richard_ilomaki7

Hello

I am still not able to get my Colscan iii working on a reloaded PC with

Windows 2000 and a SCSI card. It worked before the system crashed and had to

be reloaded.

Everything checks out OK but the error message says "no active devices were

found" even 'tho Nikon Scan 3 is properly loaded and all cables are properly

attached. Nikon Canada can make no suggestions other than buying a new scanner.

Any help would be greatly apprecisted.

Thanks

Did you turn on the SCSI device before booting up? If yes, can't help you.

If no, then remember to turn on the SCSI device before booting up,

OR

Ifou do boot up before turning on the SCSI device, go to Device Manager, right click on the SCSI device and select "Scan for Hardware changes."

I have a Coolscan II and I kept a Windows 98 machine running so that I could continue to use it. However, I had to change to a Win 2000 machine, and it didn't work as I expected. I found a site that suggested that the ASPI setup was incomplete. Go to the Adaptec site and find the file aspi_471a2.exe (or later, I suppose)

It will produce a statement of the ASPI state of the system, and then it can set up the drivers.

After all that, my Windows_System still shows a cross against my scanner, but it works fine.

Let us know if this fix works for you.

I had similar problems with a Kodak DCS-410 on Windows XP - the Kodak software wasn't able to manage a PCMCIA SCSI interface. However with the Coolscan III, which I have connected to the same laptop, I interface with the scanner using Vuescan. This works where Photoshop 4 and NikonScan didn't - it just seemed to recognise the scanner, no drivers needed. It also lets you do multi-pass scanning for greater scan accuracy, a feature of the Coolscan LS-4000 which was hobbled on the Coolscan III. You can download Vuescan to trial for free, and if it works, buying it is still cheaper than looking for another film scanner...