8x10 Lens?

stephenwood

Good morning all, I have been using a Sinar F2 4x5 now for some time and have

made the decision to go with a modular Sinar P2 8x10 with backs for 4x5 and 5x7.

I have and love my Nikkor-SW 90 f4.5 and Schneider Xenar 135 f4.7. What 8x10

lens would cover 8x10 and give the same coverage as the 135 (somewhat

wide/normal) that would be used especially for portraits, but not limited to, in

a smallish studio (ie. can't back up too far.) Thanks.

For 8x10 equivalent just double the focal length of your 4x5 lenses.

The Schneider G-Clarons are very good lenses. I use the 305mm...it's slightly wider than normal and with tremendous coverage at infinity. The G-Claron 270mm (I believe they make a G-Claron in that FL) would also probably have enough coverage at infinity, though I've never used one. For portrait applications, where you will be focusing much closer than infinty, image circle and coverage will not be an issue with 8x10 lenses in the 240-270mm range.

I recall that Schneider's G-Clarons come in 150, 210, 240, 270, 305, 355, and I think something in the 450mm range as well. However, why not a Nikon 300mm M? It is very well regarded, multicoated and looks great to boot. Oh yeah, it's also a lot easier to find one than the longer G-Clarons!

I do, however, have a 300mm M and the three shorter G-Clarons as well, so I can tell you from my own experience they are all great.

If you're familiar with the angle of view of a lens on 4x5, just double the focal length and you'll get the same coverage on 8x10.

So the coverage you're looking for -- equivalent to a 135mm on 4x5 -- would be 270mm on 8x10.

Just about any 270mm designed for large format cameras will cover on 8x10, but beware that the movements might be limited if you get something in a Tessar design. Check the specs!

I've got an old Symmar 240mm that'll cover 8x10 pretty well, so if you can find something along those lines -- Schneider or otherwise -- you should be fine.