Ok, after spending days reading about this lens and comparing it to the SIgma

10-20mm, i decided to go for it, and today it arrived. It,s fantastic. Build

quality is solid, and compact, and the constant f/4 is an extra over the

sigma. the feel and handling is great too, and distortion is surprisingly

low. I only took a few quick shots, but the results are very pleasing, and

what i've read in the forums here is quiet accurate. The lens is a great

complement to my line-up: 18-70mm, 70-300D, 50mm f/1.8. If there are any of

you who have some tips or suggestions related to the use of this lens, please

go ahead. NOw i have to figure out which cokin system to use for ND Grads.

Some help on that too would be appreciated.

thank you all

Alfred

Good choice, I love this lens too. I can keep it on all day when shooting interiors and never miss a shot. I tested it against my Nikon 18-70mm DX lens and I think the color is a little more neutral through the Tokina than through the Nikon. I would get the Cokin P system holder and filters. This has a 72mm front filter thread and the smaller system will be too small.

Dave

I really like this lens. I find that I keep it on my D2x most of the time and just change out

lenses if I can't move into a good shooting position (the old "foot zoom"). For my shooting

style, it allows me to take an APS-C sensor close-in to where the story is. My photos were

much more engaging on the whole with this focal length range. It's essentially the much-

loved 17-35 except a bit slower (and honestly, since I installed the new firmware on my

D2x, I can just designate 1/30th second as the slowest shutter speed and the ISO will

crank up a couple of stops to get that extra little bit of speed I need). This, of course, is in

uncontrolled lighting.

I still think it's a great choice if you can find one!<div>00IKoz-32817684.jpg.ec3fb8d8e9a525a0102dafeaf943cb1f.jpg</div>

Tokina don't currently have a distributor in Canada.

I am not sure if this is something we Canadians should be concerned about though. Had there been a distributor, he would have been way more expensive than he should be relative to the US, and we would still choose to cross the border and buy...

Cheers,

I've enjoyed mine it's great for ladnscapes, not real good if you plan on stiching pans though. The P series will chop the corners at the widest, Ive cut the first slot off and it still does some. Your other option is to handhold the filter. Enjoy !

Mike

" I would get the Cokin P system holder and filters. This has a 72mm front filter" - perhaps you know that 72mm is not good for your Tokina lens. You need 77 MM.

The filter, if you have to have one, must be of the "slim" type to avoid vignetting. The 12 mm is very wide, and can easily vignette.

The only problem with Tokina 12-24 is that you cannot use Nikon DSLR camera built-in flash, with or without the lens hood. If you use SB-800, make sure it has the diffuser On, to cover better the picture edges.

Even though, the distance from flash to subject is much greater from sides of wide angle, than from the central portion, so bounced flash helps.

Hi everyone. Thank you all for your responses, especially regarding the Cokin filter system. I have the P - but I guess I need to get the larger system to solve my probs.

For those of you who cannot find the lens, I got it off e-bay from a Hong Kong dealer. It was packed really well and delivery was by Fedex and only took three days to get to Malta from Hong-Kong. I was impressed. Here there is no dealer anyway, so getting it from B&H or E-bay didn't really make a difference. Of course, B&H is more reputable. The lens works marvelously, very solid and compact. SO far, it feels better than any of the Nikkors I have. I never tried the Sigma, and perhaps I might at times regret having the 12-24 rather than the 10-20 for those extra 3mm on the D70, but the most reviews on the net were in favour of the Tokina.

Hope that helps those who are looking for the lens.

Cheers

AJ

Thansk for all the above info guys...

Cassie, looks like the link you sent was for the Canon mount. And unfotunately I couldnt

find the Nikon version listed on the site.

John and AJ; not sure if I feel comfortable going the Hong Kong Ebay route. Its defiinitely a

gamble...

I am in the same situation as a few people who contributed above in that there is no

distribution for Tokina in Canada, so I am dependent on having it shipped from the US.

Well, I guess Ill keep looking...

I also really like this lens. I use the cokin P system with tiffen and singh ray grads. Many people in Europe, especially the UK, use lee filter system. Took a photo workshop with Charlie Waite and everyone one else had lee, I had cokin (I was the sole american). You can order the lee from a uk dealer, more expensive then cokin but appears to be better made. I sawed off the first filter bay in the p holder for wide angle lenses but now cokin makes a wide angle P holder. Have fun its a great lens, I wish I were back in the Lake District with mine as I write this!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...