travel with large 4x5 monorail view camera

ihaddad

How flat can you make the camera? If you remove the bellows and turn the standards, will it fit in a roll-a-board or back-pack of carry-on size (e.g., a LowePro Roller I or LowePro Photo Trekker). I've packed a Sinar F1 this way. It might make more sense to ship the camera in an air case and carry the film on board.

You should be able to disassemble it into its components and get it into a carry-on sized bag -- IF you have a 12" rail. I don't think you'll have much luck with the 18" rail that seems to be standard with most of the Calumet and Cambo monorails. You might be able to find a plastic box (Rubbermaid, Tupperware, etc) that will hold the bellows and keep it safe, the rest of the pieces just need a little light padding to keep them OK.

You need to think of all the paraphernalia associated with LF: Camera, lenses, tripod, filters, DDS', meter, dark cloth, changing bag, film etc. I suggest you pack away carefully everything that is not affected by xrays into your hold luggage, preferably in a rigid case.

You can then carry film as hand baggage, or even better in your pockets if you can walk through the metal detectors without sounding an alarm. don't be tempted to take delicate stuff as hand luggage, if one of your carriers has stricter regulations on how much, what size, what weight etc. you care allowed in the cabin, you may find your camera and lenses taken off you at as try and board. You can then watch the ground crew throw your precious bag around prior to jamming it underneath the heaviest case they can find. (Ryan Air once manged to bend the leg of a heavy duty tripod once, I'm talking a 30 degree bend)

Hi, Inad,

There are a lot of threads on this topic, so search around Photo.Net for various ideas.

Meanwhile, please check your expensive camera gear if you never want to see it again, and also if you don't care that the airline's insurance won't cover even 20 percent of the value of a large format system (i.e., camera, lenses, filters, film, lightmeter, bag, darkcloth, miscellaneous..it all adds up).

On the other hand, I purchased the LowePro Photo Trekker AW II, and I am really glad I invested in it (about $229 from B&H). It's tough, somewhat attractive, adjustable to different heights (I'm 6'2"), is the largest bag that can still be squeezed into the more restrictive airline carry-on limits (e.g., Southwest Airlines), frees you from embarassing yourself by cutting a bunch of cheap foam to fit a lesser quality bag, supports lots of add-on accessory bags, comes with it's own small strap-on daypack, and lets you carry just enough gear, lenses, and film that if your checked luggage does get lost (and yes it will), you can still salvage your entire trip!

Robt.

I have loaded mine in a Pelican case and checked it as baggage. I also checked my tripod in a hard-sided case. I have not ever had problems. While the "no locks" policy on checked baggage in the US gave me pause about checking my gear in an unlocked case, there are now locks available that you can put on you luggage that can be unlocked by TSA personnel only. (Better than nothing.)

Get one of those aluminum cases that are made for a take-down shotgun or assault rifle, you'll fly right through security. On the serious side, I can't stand the Lowepros, they are heavy and don't fit me. You're better off with what is called a technical daypack, get a panel loading one. I got a couple at a whopping discount thanks to a fellow LF poster a while back, from northern mountain supply. (I think this topic - Lowepro vs. the world - has been discussed quite a bit.)

I agree completely that the LowePros are HEAVY!! ...and that a real backpack would be far lighter, and would fit on the back better, and could be carried much further in the field.

However, does a real backpack fit inside the more restrictive airline carry-on requirements? (My Osprey does not.) For example, the following is a copy and paste from the SWA website:

"Southwest Airlines limits carryon bag dimensions to 10x16x24 inches."

This is a more restrictive requirement than some other airlines, and the LowePro fits within this requirement (when the straps are reversed and secured in front).

But, as you aptly said, this is just re-starting the old LowePro vs. The World debate!

Robt.