href="http://www.zianet.com/connealy/vintagecameras/pony4/index.html">Pony

IV</a> to the Vintage Camera section of my web site. I was curious

about the quality I might get from the four-element Anastar lens on

this inexpensive camera. The lens is not a Tessar design, and I was

not able to coax Tessar sharpness from it. However, that may be more

a reflection of my skills as a photographer and camera restorer. I

would be interested in reading about the experience of others with

this lens as well as the Anaston which was used on similar Kodak

offerings in the '40s - '60s period.<div>00AQ9q-20877484.jpg.d642eb7f887f997cfa233038a03d00ac.jpg</div>

Hi Mike:

<br><br>

What is the formula of the 4-element lens in the Pony? Kodak had an unusual all-air-spaced 4 element lens that they used in the Kodak Reflex TLRs, which was reputed to be very good; is this the same design? That lens, named "anastar", is described here by Brian Wallen:

<br><br>

<a href="http://www.prairienet.org/b-wallen/BN_Photo/LD48_Refl_80Anas.htm">Kodak Anastar 4-element Lens</a>

<br><br>

rick :)=

Rick,<br>

I had read your comments on the lens before, and my assumption was that the design was basically the same as the one on the MF cameras. However, I don't really know that to be the case as I did not fully disassemble the lens. The middle and rear group are well sealed and did not appear to need any cleaning in my camera. Also, the page I referenced on my site indicates that the rear lens element is very difficult to remove in the Pony IV.

Hi, Mike-

I've got a Tourist,with an Anaston 6.3 105mm lens- pretty nice-

but it's 6x9-kind of a no brainer-

I shot a couple of rolls with a Bantam(not the Art Deco special-

the cheapo one) I was kind of suprised how sharp the Antistigmat special is-Tmax 100(in the rain) developed in Rodinal-

like a razor-

gotta roll your own,though 828 film- and you only get 8 frames

I think the first rule at Kodak is that you can't tell anything by the name. Ektars were whatever formula they felt made the best lens for a given type and speed, and I don't think the other names held any particular formula significance either.

The Anastar in the Kodak 35RF was, to the best of my knowledge, substantially the same lens as the Anastigmat Special in earlier 35RF's.... a Tessar type. This was followed by the Signet 35 with its Ektar lens.... again a Tessar type. But the Anastar in the Reflex was quite different from the Anastar in the 35RF.

I THINK the lenses in the Kodak Reflex and the Reflex II were the same formula, but I can't say that with any certainty.

The Kodak Pony IV has a 44mm F3.5 Anastar lens. The Signet 35 has a 44mm F3.5 Ektar lens.I-50-2 <BR><BR> Both have the same cross sections; 4 elements in 3 groups; ie these are Tessar type lenses. <BR><BR>Ok; on the Signet 35; the lens is an Ektar; it has matched front and rear lens blocks. This camera has a nice tight helix; that rides on 50 ball bearings. The focusing is the "unit type"; the entire lens block is moved. This camera was also a military camera; and has a very robust rangefinder. The shutter had some problems at first; the ratchets/pawls were redesigned. Still often the shutter is just average; and needs cleaning. <BR><BR>The Anastar is focused by rotating the front element ; this changes the spacing of the lens front and rear lense blocks. Here this works; but sharpness is less. This is not the best way to focus a Tessar; messing with the spacing.<BR><BR>Thus an Pony Anastar user's results may or may not be equal to a Signet 35's Ektar; depending on how CLOSE the objects are to the lens.

Most all Kodak Anastar's are Tessar type designs; but they focus by rotating the front element; not with the better "unit focusing"; used in more expensive cameras. Low cost entry cameras use the simple "rotate the front elment" method.<BR><BR>The 80mm F3.5 Anastar on the Kodak Reflex II is a 4 elment 4 group lens; not a Tessar. Only 1 element is behind the stop.

Mike,

Nice images with your Pony IV! I really like mine but haven't used it in a while (testing other acquisitions). I have had wonderful results with the Pony IV and like it's built-in filter holder (for Series V drop-in filters). I also have a Pony III but its shutter is quirky at 1/25 and 1/50. I also picked up an 828 film Kodak Bantam camera that looks like the Pony IV (Bantam Pony? I forget). Not used it yet.

I shot the hood ornament of a 1935 Pierce-Arrow a couple years back with my Pony IV and Kodak consumer C-41 Black+White film. Wonderful shot, IMHO. Will post it if I can dig it up!

--Micah in NC

Those are great photographs! I especially like the water shot. Really great surfaces. Should be printed up somewhere.

Maybe we should have a Classic Camera forum wall calendar - like the Toy Camera site is doing. Old camera profile and photograph each month. A few notable dates sprinkled in (Leica M3 intro, Nagel bought by Kodak, etc.)

Red can provide us with Miss January (see above thread.)

Nice presentation Mike! It comes as no surprise that you got some nice results -

aesthetically. When we think of how many of these cameras were probably used as

nothing more than "snapshot" cameras and rarely, for serious photography, it's easy

to maintain a low opinion of them. Then, you, like others in this forum, take them

out and make some beautiful images with them. It's no wonder that this is one of my

favorite places on the web...<p>

I like that idea of a calendar, but another possibility is a print exchange. Take one of

your favorite images, make x number of prints, and everyone participating gets a

copy, and of course, the sender gets a copy of someones elses' print. Would have to

limit it of course, because nobody wants to make 100 copies of the same print...<p>

• 4 years later...

<p>The Pony IV is the camera I learned photography on. I was interested in photography in 7th grade and asked my mother (the family photographer) if she had an old camera I could use, expecting some cheapo instamatic type thing she usually used. <br>

She pointed me to our home's "storage closet" and I found a box with a 35mm camera in it. It was the Kodak Pony IV that she had stopped using years before.<br>

I wrote a bit about it on my photography blog a few years ago and have images of the camera, the original box, and the included accessories. <br>

Take a look if you get a minute: <a href="http://jampictures.blogspot.com/2007/04/humble-beginnings.html">http://jampictures.blogspot.com/2007/04/humble-beginnings.html</a></p>

<p>The Pony IV is the camera I learned photography on. I was interested in photography in 7th grade and asked my mother (the family photographer) if she had an old camera I could use, expecting some cheapo instamatic type thing she usually used. </p>

<p>She pointed me to our home's "storage closet" and I found a box with a 35mm camera in it. It was the Kodak Pony IV that she had stopped using years before.</p>

<p>I wrote a bit about it on my photography blog a few years ago and have images of the camera, the original box, and the included accessories. </p>

<p>Take a look if you get a minute: <a href="http://jampictures.blogspot.com/2007/04/humble-beginnings.html">http://jampictures.blogspot.com/2007/04/humble-beginnings.html</a></p><div>00TtOS-152935584.jpg.441c3783b2b9e1e0bbdc86a401e9e490.jpg</div>