portrait lens query

taybay

Being new to photography, I have a LOT to learn. Can anyone shed some light on whether a Nikkor

35-80mm f/1.4-5.6D zoom lens would be a great lens for my new D200. I'm looking for a gr8 indoor

portrait lens but want some versatility. Salesmen seem to try to sell me every lens they have in stock and i

don't feel I'm getting the right info. What do the pro's think??

I'm not a pro, but try this on for size.

You're new to photography. AWESOME! That probably means you will want/need a versatile

lens. 35-80 on a DSLR is not versatile. There is NO wide angle view with such a lens, since

35 is equivalent to the field of view of a standard lens, not a wide angle. You might be

best served by an 18-70 as a first "kit" lens (or an 18-200 if you can afford it since--if you

don't like it you can sell it for basically what you bought it for--at least for now), BUT...

since you know you want to do indoor portraits, I'd also get a 50mm/1.8, which is a

GREAT lens, one of Nikon's very best optically, and it's only gonna be about 100 bucks.

Now... with those two lenses, you haven't spent a lot of money, and you can learn more

about your camera and how it works... but more importantly, you will learn about what

you want to shoot. THEN... you can get the appropriate fast primes or high-end zooms if

you can afford them. Pay attention to the focal lengths you're using much of the time. For

me, for instance, since I switched to digital for my personal photography, I found that

24mm is one of my favorite lengths on digital, so now I'm thinking about getting a 24mm

prime. If I had a 35-80, I'd just be frustrated all the time.

I hope that helps.

You would be better off with the famous 18-70mm. It covers more range than a 35-80mm does and is quite good, plus faster. f5.6 at that short a focal length is crud. Then get the 50mm 1.8. You can't beat the price for performance and it's a great medium portrait lens on a digital. You'll have huge flexibility for the price. Can't get cheaper (for new) than the 50mm f1.8 and the sharpness is unmatched.

Then, once you're vaguely happy with that, you have to decide to go with the 28-70 f2.8 or the 85mm f1.4 or longer. I chose the 85mm f1.4 because I can also use it for semi-close sports shooting in nearly dark places. Plus the shallow DOF and ridiculously bright image are awesome. If you want more versatility, get the 28-70 f2.8. If I do more headshots & portrait sittings, that will be my lens of choice.

It depends on the type of portraiture. I use my 50 f/1.8, and 60 Micro Nikkor a lot for fashion, but I prefer the more selective focus of the 85mm f/1.8 or f/1.4 for a lot of what I'm doing. I'm thinking that a 105 might even be better, like the f/2 DC. I have the old 105 f/2.5 AIS and need to work with it more to see what I think, but the 85mm is the one I like the best so far.

Check out Bjorn's review of the AFS 105 VR. He doesn't like it very much.

http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_spec.html#AFS105MicroVR

Ken Rockwell didn't like it at all, although his review isn't as balanced, I think, as Bjorn's.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/105vr.htm

Thom Hogan disagreed, but still seemed to indicate that the Tamron 90 was very much

worth looking into instead.

http://www.bythom.com/105AFSlens.htm

thank u all so much for ur gr8 info. The more I read the more I learn. I like the sound of the

50mm f/1.8 or the 85mm f/1.4.

Next photographic genre is INSECTS- up real close. I currently have a vivitar 100mm f/3.5

and have been getting very nice close ups but notice the DOF is very very shallow. I like to

get up close and personal with these little critters, capturing the hexagonal shapes in their

eyes and so on but its hard to get the whole head in focas. What can u wonderful people

suggest now.

Oh and I have the 18-200 vr lens (it came with the D200), but not really good indoors for

portraits. better outdoors.