I've just set up a Nikon 9000 scanner which was very straightforward. I've also acquired the 869GR film

holder on the suggestion of many users. However when I insert this holder, the scanner only pulls it in

part way it seems. It stops with about 5 " still outside the scanner. And of course the scan does not begin.

When I switch to the 869M which I also purchased, the holder goes in with about 2" extending out, and the

scanning process begins right away.

I'm guessing I'm making some stupid newbie mistake, but I'm totally baffled. I checked Nilon's website,

but the troubleshooting part is pretty much useless.

Any idea why the scanner won't pull the 869GR holder all the way in??

Thanks everyone!

I'm not sitting in front of my 9000, so I am not sure if this will help. I think the 869GR is the glass anti-newton ring holder. If you go to the control panel, and in the upper mid-right click on the preview "tray", then click on the far left icon (I think it shows an outline of 4 frames in a square) it may trigger the first preview scan of the entire tray/holder. When I get home, I'll try to look at the setup to see how mine acts....

RC

The 869GR is the "Rotating" glass holder, and only scans one frame at a time. You must use one of the masks supplied with the holder in order for it to work. The masks have a digital code which is read by the scanner. The use of all of the holders is described in the User's Manual of the scanner.

Thanks guys. (Of course I didn't THOROUGHLY RTFM....) Too eager to jump right in.

Edward, I'll check out the mask issue tonight. I admit I wasn't clear on exactly how the mask

was supposed to fit in the holder - and I don't recall any decent image of that detail in the

manual. I did call Nikon and was told that it doesn't sound like a mask issue, since the holder

still should have been pulled all the way in by the scanner. I have done a few scans with the

slide mount holder which I think is pretty good. I did

them at max resolution, multi sampling etc. and they took about 45 min to yield a 350MB file

from 6x7 slides. I think I'm going to need another backup drive...