Cheapest Flash to fit Nikon D50

havenornirvana

You can't lose with an SB-600. Anything else will not be full-featured with a D50 (except a

SB800 of course).

There is an "i-ttl" mode that is the best way to use flash with newer Nikon Cameras. ONLY the

SB600 and SB800 have it. The others will work only in manual mode. I'm guessing you might

not be an "advanced" photographer. If that's true, You should probably go for the SB600.

The cheapest flash I could find that supports Nikon's i-TTL, and therefore fully compatible with the D50 is the Metz 28-AF-3N. It is for sale at B&H for $129.95

Sigma and Sunpak also make flashes that are cheaper than Nikon's, but more expensive than this one.

Good luck!!

The camera has a built in flash that works fine for family photos. Don't settle for anything less than an sb-600 if you do decide to make a flash purchase. (Here is a tip for the built-in flash - turn the ISO up to 600 or 800 if your subjects are more than 15 feet from you and they will come out nicely exposed.)

As a person that has an SB-80dx and Nikon F and FM3a film cameras, I have found the auto (presumably thyristor) mode for bounce flash with diffuser very usable for anything near a normal lens like 28 to 85 (as long as you are not near close focus). (I use it on TTL with the FM3a, but I also use it without reseration on all kinds of other classic cameras in the auto mode with great results. Bounce with diffuser is very forgiving) I've slightly resented the idea that the "dx" on my flash turned out to mean very little, I assume, but wouldn't it work fine with a digital as long as you are in auto flash mode with a normal lens as described? I wonder because I think about getting a D50 or something, myself. I would think that an SB-28 would be fine if used with some understanding of the situation?

<i>Get SB-800, since the SB-600 cannot act as a commander, and D50 built-in flash cannot work as a commander either. That is of concern only if you plan to expand into multi-flash setup later. Do you want to limit your potentials with D50/SB-600 combination?</i><br><br>

Somebody told me the same thing, but it doesn't make any sense. I would say buy the SB-600 now. you are not able to use the Commander mode of the SB-800 unless you buy a second flash. If you decide to go that route later you can buy the SB-800 as the second flash then. Why spend the extra $200 now? Yes, the SB-600 does not have commander mode, but the SB-800 can't use its commander mode without at least an sb-600 to command. Either way, you have to buy a second flash at some point.

Robert,

With D50 and SB-800 you can use 2 flash setup, that is the built-in flash and the SB-800. The SB-800 has the SU-4 mode, and also can act as a remote optical slave, though it will not be iTTL yet, as you say a second iTTL flash will be needed. But with D50/SB-800 you can have 2 flash setup working. SB-800 can act as a remote optical trigger to any flash, including D50 built-in flash in Manual mode, and that is not available in the SB-600.

If you get D50 and SB-600 instead, then SB-600 does not have SU-4 mode. You cannot use 2 flashes without getting some extra equipment, like radio or optical slave, or the Nikon SU-4 attachment or whatever?.

The superiority of D50/SB-800 is abvious when comparing to D50 combination with SB-600. Whoever told you that before must have known more about SB-800 and SB-600, or D50.

Also there were multiple complaints about SB-600 not providing enough light in bounced flash photography, where the little extra power from SB-800 helps. Though even SB-800 may not have enough power, depending on sizes and room reflectivity, and boosting ISO or openning lens wider -(loosing some DOF), was necessary.

The SB-600 does not have accessories, and features/connectors that the SB-800 has.

Darren,

do not disappear, please contibute something of substance for a change.

Frank,

Unless you can point me somewhere else, I think you are wrong. The D50's manual clearly

states that the built-in flash is disabled whenever an optional flash unit, including the

SB-800, is used. That means, even though the SB-800 can operate in wireless SU-4

mode, it can not trigger the D50's built-in flash in manual mode or otherwise.

As for the SB-600 not being powerful enough, I have also read that, but only on boards in

which professioanls are talking about it. In this case, we have a guy who wants to buy an

external flash for pictures of his family. I have not come across a review or comment from

a family shooter who didn't feel that the SB-600 was a great improvement over the built-

in.

I am not saying that the SB-800 is not a more capable flash - for it certainly is. But for

someone with a D50 who wants to take pictures of his family, the SB-800 may be overkill.

And again, unless he buys a second flash he can not use the wireless features of the

SB-800.

" I think you are wrong. The D50's manual clearly states that the built-in flash is disabled whenever an optional flash unit, including the SB-800, is used."

- where did I say that the SB-800 must be on D50 how shoe ? How did you come up with this idea ? - certainly not from what I wrote.

I said:"With D50 and SB-800 you can use 2 flash setup, that is the built-in flash and the SB-800. The SB-800 has the SU-4 mode, and also can act as a remote" - and the word REMOTE is the key here for SB-800 use with 2 flashes setup. I never stated that SB-800 must be in the D50 camera shoe.

Also you say:

"even though the SB-800 can operate in wireless SU-4 mode, it can not trigger the D50's built-in flash in manual mode or otherwise."

Where on earth I stated that the SB-800 would ever trigger internal camera flash? What kind of heresy you came up with?

I think you are wrong not reading through, or not being able to understand what you read ?

I do not think D50 manual says what you say, as it clearly says that internal flash cannot be used with optional flash mounted in the D50 camera shoe.

One of many obvious reasons is that if you insert a flash into D50 shoe, the internal flash will not even fully pop-up being obstructed by the flash in the shoe. Another reason is that D50 camera logic will not allow that.

Whatever I stated is CORRECT, and I am not wrong. The problem is with you twisting my words and comming up with realy impossible scenarios. Why are you doing this? What is wrong with you ?

Frank,

<p>

First why the defensive, hostile attitude? Second there is nothing wrong with me, but I

appreciate your concern.

<p>

Your words:

<i>

With D50 and SB-800 you can use 2 flash setup, <b>that is the built-in flash and the

SB-800 </b>. The SB-800 has the SU-4 mode, and also can act as a remote optical slave,

though it will not be iTTL yet, as you say a second iTTL flash will be needed. But with D50/

SB-800 you can have 2 flash setup working. <b>SB-800 can act as a remote optical

trigger to any flash, including D50 built-in flash </b>in Manual mode, and that is not

available in the SB-600.</i>

<p>

That is where I got that you said the SB-800 could trigger the D50's internal built-in flash.

I think it would be hard to read that any other way, but I will give you the benefit of the

doubt, and assume I misunderstood you.

<p>

Also, the D50 manual . . . page 109, top paragraph, last line:

<i>The built in flash does not fire when an optional flash unit is used.</i>

<p>

That doesn't make any reference to the optional flash being directly on the hotshoe or not.

It simply says, it won't fire when the SB-800 is used.

<p>

But okay, Like I said, I am not understanding you. Here is what I took your setup to be . . .

<p>

D50 with and SB-800 used off-camera via a external flash cable. Set the SB-800 to SU-4

mode and the D50's built-in flash to manual. Frame your image, and release the shutter

on the D50. If I understand you correctly, you are saying that the SB-800 will act as a

REMOTE optical trigger flash and cause the D50's built-in to fire, giving the photographer

the 2 flashes. Is that wrong? Because if that is what you mean, that won't work. If it isn't

what you mean, you are right and I don't follow you, so please explain it.

<p>

Again, there's no hostility coming from my end, I am just trying to follow you. Heck, as I

might be able to learn something here about my camera, I am anxious to here back.

Yes, I see you could easily misunderstand me, with the imprecise words I used, and too short explanation.

The SB-800 has a remote optical trigger built in, while SB-600 does not have it. I thought of trigger for the flash and not to trigger a camera. I never envisioned that you would think a flash could trigger a camera. There are radio triggers to trigger camera remotely, but not D50.

I think you understand this now correctly. The SB-800 can be triggered without wires by D50 camera flash in manual, while SB-600 cannot, and that was the major point there.

For SB-600 you would need an optical or other type remote trigger - but I should call it "slave optical trigger", so that would be better description and less confusing.

The key point and perhaps limitation, is that you have to use the SB-800 as an _optical_ slave only. You can't do iTTL.

IMO, if you are ever going to use an on-camera flash, then the SB-600 is the way to go. If you want a 2 flash set up specifically, then getting an older SB-26 with its built-in optical slave makes much more sense, economically.

If you're going to two flash "for real," then SB800 with SB600 or SB800 slaves using iTTL and the CLS is the way to go. But that's a huge investment down the line, and clearly not in line with the OP's intent.

allan

Frank,

Thanks for the explanation. I thought the SB-600 and SB-800 had the same slave mode. I

did not understand that the SB-800, in addition to the slave mode of the SB-600, had

another mode, the SU-4. If I understand correctly, the SU-4 mode is an earlier dumbed

down wireless, which will fire anytime it senses a flash from somewhere else, while the

standard wireless slave mode of the SB-600 and the SB-800 requires a series of pulses to

control the flash and eventually fire it. Of course, this could be a problem in that other

people's flashes could trigger the SB-800 . . .

Also, it seems strange that as the SU-4 mode is an earlier less advanced flash mode that it

would only be available on the high end model. Normally I would expect it to be the more

advanced modes that were only be available on the higher end model.

Of course, while you are right given the way the SU-4 mode works on the SB-800 and the

D50/SB800 combo can be used to fire two flashes, that ability comes at an expense in

that you have to manual control the output of the SB-800, which may be more trouble

than a family shooter wants and not something you can simply throw together on the fly.

Then again, it would be nice to have the option if you have the time to set up the SB-800's

output either through trial and error or with a light meter.

Cool. I did learn something.

I don't have a multiple SB system myself, but if you have an SB-800 on your D50 (or a higher end camera in the first place, D70, D80, etc, with Commander Mode), you can actually control the output of the remote flashes _and_ use iTTL. You don't have to do anything via manual settings. That's the really cool part of the CLS.

The SB-600 can't be a commander, but it can be a slave, again with control all from the camera (or camera-mounted SB800 in your case). You can even set up to 4 separate groups of 4 flashes each, with full control from your camera. Really, really powerful control.

allan