W/NW Wine Cellar

jschweigl

Well, may I ask for some constructive critcism? I mean, yeah, tastes are different but I didn't advertise the climax of photography. There was no specific meaning behind those pictures. I took them a while ago in pretty low light and I am more into details than the general view. Wanted to make a series of photos in a wine cellar of a friend of mine, but never really worked that out.

Browsing my archives I found those forgotten scans and liked them, so I posted them. If they are perceived as crap, so be it, I'm sorry. But give me a chance to get the point.

Johann -

The problem I have with these shots as a series, being unfamiliar with this equipment, is that there's nothing giving me a sense of what I'm looking at or how any pieces function or relate to each other. (I do recognize the cask, I suppose.)

If they're just intended to be interesting shapes/textures (which is fine), then I think no's 3,4, and 5 all have potential, but might benefit from closer or different cropping, because other shadows and objects make them harder for me to appreciate in their current form.

If you'd like, I'd be glad to post a small crop of one of them just to give you a rough idea of what I mean.

(Disclaimer: I'm neither an accomplished photographer nor a skilled photoshopper. But as forumers and enthusiasts, I think we can do better than firing off snide and sarcastic remarks.)

You're right, John. Johann has some fine photos here. And I'd looked at a few of his folders before I offered these cropped versions.<p><p>

Criticism is ok, but the earlier nastiness directed at Johann (whose photos I first saw today) was just out of place. And it would've been out of place even had Johann never held a camera before.<p><p>

Incidentally, I couldn't help but shake my head when I saw the <a href=http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00AnEQ>contribution to another thread</a> offered by that master of sarcasm, Mr. 'Wow' himself. Does the phrase "hoist with his own petard" fit reasonably well?