I need your critique inputs!!

khiem_nguyen1

You only have two problems, composition and lighting.

A light does not go on the camera except for maybe a little fill. Look up Rembrant lighting on google to see what decent lighting looks like. A profile is usually lit from the side, the sitters left and high in this case. It will put a triangle of light on his right cheek and rim light the nose.

Try working with window light and a reflector to fill the shadow side.

At least you did not center the image, but if the profile were even further to the left, it would be better.

When I get home, I`ll send you or post a few pics taken with a Sto-Fen diffuser with an on camera flash. They are not great, but the best you can easily do without a studio set up. Check back about 6:00 Chicago time.

Lots of very good advice all, though I would caution you to not limit yourself to just examining photographs. Visit a good art museum and experience photography's sister: paintings! Especially study the work of the Masters like Caravaggio, Rembrandt and others of that period. Quite a bit of what I know about lighting and composition was learned this way. Observe how the museum staff has placed the lighting that falls on sculptures and see how the fall of the light reveals and enhances the sense of form. Be particularly aware of shadows, because a good deal of how we perceive a thing's form is revealed by it's shadows. Take your time, and be open and receptive.

I recently critiqued some of my own photographs. What makes the few so special. For me, each roll of film has only a few really great shots and I disovered they were all taken by my wife.

She knows nothing about the technical aspects of cameras, which film to choose and which lens to use.

We were in New York recently and I had a meeting to attend and my wife wanted to try her hand at street photography. I asked her which lens she wanted on the camera. She said 'I don't know, how about that 90mm'. I snickered, put on the 90 and sent her out. Well, nearly every shot she took is a keeper! Even the ones where she forgot to focus the lens at all.

CG

Thanks You you all for your wonderful constructive input. The reason I posted this picture because I can hardly get a good facial expression by my son so!! I consisder myself this is my lucky shot , but of course on the artistic standpoint my picture is below average score !! but I would like to share my happiness with you all wonderful people. Thanks again for all of your inputs and I hope I can learn from all of your photo skills in the future.

Khiem, you are an incredibly gracious man! We could do with more like you

here.

Here's a tip from one dad to another: Put away the camera for a (short) bit

and just have fun with your son. Once you're both busy having fun, then get

out the camera again. The shot of your son on in the sand looked like fun.

My suggestions:

1. Let your son take pictures of you. Try to put on all kinds of faces/poses. Make him laugh. He'll learn from you (to relax, have fun and make faces/poses). Then when you photograph him, you'll get great shots. Never mind the technical or artistic aspects.

2. Show him all kinds of people's photos. My parents keep on saying that I was born knowing how to pose in front of a camera (I do, ever since I knew how to walk). I think I got it from looking at all those magazines they had lying about the house. We had no television when I was small (oops, gave away my age). I think your son would learn a lot from those photos.

3. Enjoy your moments together. Every minute is different. If you lose it, you lose it forever. The photos are secondary. Memories (correct or not) is more important. I sacrificed my career to spend some time everyday with my daughter when she was growing up, and I have absolutely no regrets whatsoever. The incredible card she gave me when she was 19 (thanking me for being the best father anyone could ever wish for), was a tremendous bonus. So take it from a happy father.