W/NW: Photos that look like paintings

abufletcher

Have any photos that ended up looking like paintings. I don't mean one

heavily manipulated in Photoshop, just ones that ended up (either on purpose

or by accident) with a painting-like quality. Here's one straight from the

camera. I honestly don't remember what camera at this point. It could have

been my Coolpix or an N90.<div>00AIdN-20713184.thumb.jpg.84e683c56c3ca24c2ac0337a4166c0a4.jpg</div>

Not to take anything away fro these fine examples, but similar thing can be done with even the small Photo Shop Elements program. Could be valuable if the photo is old and was planned as a sharp one to begin with.

Use the layers function, put the filter effects on the top layers and adjust the opacity of each layer to see what happens to the "stack" as a whole. I am having great fun with this and I believe this is what digital is best used for, doing what is impossible in the darkroom. The unsolved problem is the final product is a digital file that has to be inkjet printed or sent to my lab as a digital file to be printed. I feel I give up some control that way. The ultimate will be to make a digital neg and contact prints back in the darkroom.

Thanks for the kind words. Donald, the effect is partially a bit of camera shake (I was hanging rather precariously from an electrical junction box on the side of a wall to get the high angle) and the rest comes from the film choice and treatment: Kodak EPJ 320T rated at EI 1000 and pushed two stops. The light in that case was tungsten floodlamp, so the colors were fairly accurate. The shot below was on the same roll, but I had to adjust the colors to compensate for sickly green cast from the sodium vapor streetlamps. I also did some minor dodging and bumped up the saturation slightly, but I didn't use any special effect filters.<div>00AIpm-20717584.jpg.4aad05cb0bb7266f287ed7c7b69a8dd2.jpg</div>