Mini-lab as part of hybrid workflow?

The mini-lab has become critical to my hybrid workflow as there is no pro lab within hundreds of miles

from here. Their prints are pretty mediocre, but it's the negatives I need. I scan, usually Kodak 400UC,

using Coolscan V, Photoshop, then directly upload back to the mini-lab Noritsu printer.

My question relates to the negatives. So far, so good, no scratches or anything. Am I losing something by

having the mini-lab do the negatives? For slides, they are sent out to a pro lab, unmounted, cut into

strips for better scanning, and sleeved.

"Am I losing something by having the mini-lab do the negatives?"

Nope (but qualified.) The negative development process is very standardized. In paying a premium to a pro lab, the presumption is that they take greater care in the physical handling of the film, that the chemicals are to spec, and that the equipment is well maintained. If you're not having problems with the corner drug store in this respect, keep letting them have your business.

Since you're doing your own digital darkroom work, you might as well print yourself. The quality from a $100 photo inkjet can be quite a bit better than the Noritsu.

C-41 is C-41 is C-41, so assuming they maintain the machine, replenish the chemicals on schedule, and handle the negatives properly, it doesn't matter who processes the negatives. If you've had consistently good luck with clean negatives, you've probably found a good lab. You could always talk to them to assure yourself that the operators know what they're doing and that they do the maintenance and controls correctly.

Until I went digital last year, I had a local minilab do a "process only" when I had a roll or two. I used Vuescan's batch scanning feature to make quick low-resolution "proof" scans, from which I'd select the negatives for full scans. It's a good, inexpensive approach to a hybrid workflow.

When I took a trip and had lots of film, I sent it to Dale Labs. They printed the negatives as slides and returned mounted slides and cut/sleeved negatives. The slides are excellent proofs for selecting negatives to scan. Because I had problems with the Postal Service delivering the film, I sent it FedEx. I used the minilab when I didn't have enough film to justify that expense.

The minilab neg proccessor are usually roller proccessors and the replenishment is automatic the machine knows how many films goes through and runs the replenishment pumps when it needs too. Some machines such as the konica ecojet used large tablets and onlt water needed to be added when the water tank was empty. The output of the replenishment pumps should be checked on a regular basis and adjusted when needed. Conrol strips are usually sent for analisis as well.

Chemistry in the c-41 machines can get very off fairly easily; however, if it's a busy lab then I wouldn't worry about it. If you've had good luck with a particular lab so far, then it's safe to assume they keep their c-41 maintained well enough and their chemistry is stable.

If it's a MotoPhoto or Ritz or some type of camera store that's processing dozens or more rolls of film a day and running the minilab is what they do, I'd be comfortable with replenishment, etc. If it's a RiteAid or grocery store where some kid stocking the shelves has to come over and try to remember the training he had on the photo machine six weeks ago I would not be as comfortable.

• 2 weeks later...

<I>"If it's a RiteAid or grocery store where some kid stocking the shelves has to come over and try to remember the training he had on the photo machine six weeks ago I would not be as comfortable."</i>

<p>You forgot CVS, and you're hoping for too much to assume he was trained