OT A photo vest that works.

huw_finney

I have been looking for a photo vest that works, here are the problems

and wants I have found so far.

1) Any weight in the pockets and the collar cut into my neck.

2) When slinging a camera round my neck the strap usualy misses the

collar.

3) Zip on sleeves and a liner for cold weather use (could be one piece).

4) Pockets that will take a camera and lens.

5) No bits in the way so I can carry my 5x4 backpack (and old ALICE

pack frame with custom bits to hold equipment)

6) It has to fit!

Any suggestions or pointers to designs so if nessesary I can make my

own (yes I can sew too).

i use an old domke vest.

re. #1 - i has some softer padded material sewn onto the collar, that helps quite a bit.

#2 - i had flaps sewn onto the top of the shoulders, with larger buttons to keep the flap down. in a pinch i can 'hang' my straps over the buttons without using the flaps.

#3 - no sleeves, i put the vest over a heavy flannel shirt.

#4 - there are 2 inside pockets, one on either side, that easily hold a camera & lens. i use them for exposed/unexposed film.

#5 - not sure what you mean by bits in the way.

#6 - the fit is good. i'm 5'10" & 250 pounds and the xl size has room to spare.

hth,

joe

There's this coat i saw at GAP on boxing day. Its perfect for a M system. One big pocket

enuff to take a M body with lens attached and to smaller side pockets for you 90mm and

50mm or whatever else you chose. Oh and one medium pocket for a spare body or film!

Perfect fit for my equipment. I use a M2, 50Nokton, 35Ultron, 90ApoLanthar

This whole trend started when photographers discovered the multi-pocket vests long used by fly fishermen. They still make them in the same basic tan color! I haven't checked prices lately but I'm wondering if folks who use $3,000.00 cameras are willing to spend more for a vest than their friends who use $1,000.00 graphite fly rods and $500.00 reels are spending. At least the fishing vests come with a cute little fuzzy lambs wool patch for sticking flies.

When my fishing vest got up to 40# loaded I decided the fad had gone too far and started trying to eliminate unneeded items but found it was impossible. Finally I eliminated the whole vest and went back to the essentials: fly rod and reel and a small box of flies in my shirt pocket. The parallel for photography: camera, one lens, and a pocketful of film. Now the fishing is more fun and so is the photography. Sweet are the uses of simplicity!

Any of you old Greenspanners remember John Chan's famous Incognito Vest? It's too bad that the photo links are dead, as the text doesn't do this thing justice:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=002nFh

Somebody should email John and find out if it is still available. It involved a system of cables worn underneath an old army jacket. Leicas were attached to the cables on sliding rings, so you could whip one out, from your hip to your eye, in one motion, and catch that precious decisive moment. It was an engineering marvel and a work of genius.

Huw:

Here's what I did, 20+ years ago: I had a belt made, not a vest. The belt was

wide enough for two large and one small pocket in the front. The pockets

were gusseted so they could expand to about 3 1/2 inches and were about 6

inches wide and four inches deep. It had a loop in front of the right hip, and

another in back of the left hip, so a strap went from my right front over my

shoulder to my left rear, and it buckled in front so it really did not need the

strap. Now I would make it with velcro and two straps like suspenders

(braces).

It was made of two layers of canvas, and very strong. It quitely died about 3

yrs ago, and I don't know anyone who can make another, but it was very

functional. You could wear it outside or underneath a roomy jacket.

If you like the idea, make two and I'll but one.

Happy snaps

I tried several vests & found that none did such a great job in warm weather, even tried a tactical vest w/ a changeable pocket system from Eagel Systems - too heavy duty for comfortable wear & a bad 'look' in these post 911 days. Now I use a Mountainsmith convertable shoulder/lumbar waist pack (4 sizes avail) for above 65deg days if I need more that one camera, lense & 2-4 rolls film. And I use a Reminton upland bird jacket on cooler than 65deg days, lots of big pockets & carrys 25lbs plus of gear if I want to. This even worked when I carried an F4 & 2 lenses, I hardly notice the M6 & 1-2 lenses.

If you find something great, please post a pic.

Thanks

Jim

I'm still using one of the original Banana Republic Photojournalist Vests bought sometime in the 1980's (before Banana Republic became a trendy clothing store for college kids). I used to wear it daily when I was working. I would get a mite strong in the summer months. It's still in good shape although it's a little tight around the middle these days. It's not padded at all. I wrap small hand towels around any lenses I carry not in pouches. It remains my favorite.

I also have an L.L. Rue vest. It is well padded and holds a lot of stuff but it's not for city streets unless you want to look like the Michelin man on safari. It has a built-in camera strap but I don't find it very usable. It's also nylon and it's slick--don't expect a camera strap to stay on your shoulder wearing this vest.

I think you'd better get busy with the sewing machine, Huw. There are no perfect photo vests out there for you.