Advice on a 6x9 folder please.

I would second what was said above about the "Franka" camera(s). I picked up what I thought was a junker, which I might ask a friend to convert to a pinhole camera, or adapt with a cone to use a nice modern Schneider lens. Anyway, after testing it, I was somewhat impressed. I have not alterred the camera. It is a Franka Rolfix JR 690 & 660 format with a "Frankar f4.5 105mm" coated lens, though probably not multi-coated. No rangefinder, but for my street scenes or landscapes I live without it. I will be the first to admit I havent a pocket which could hold this thing, but it slips in any camera bag with no more space than a small zoom lens, which is something you cannot say about a 2x3 press camera. I am not knocking the 2x3 press camera though. If you want the best images you can get for $100 or so, this is the way to go. If you have a second roll back, you can shoot b&w and slide/color at the same time, too. I found many of the older camera with uncoated lenses to be o.k. for b&w but terrible for anything else. Only drawback to the Franka I have is that I havent found an easy way to filter or hood the camera, so I shoot with the sun at my back.

That's correct. Novar was a Zeiss-Ikon name and not a Carl Zeiss name. So you'll never see a Carl Zeiss-branded Novar. I think Marc James Small and Charles Barringer wrote that the Novar was produced by third-party lens makers and never carried the name of the lens maker. I've also never seen a Novar with a serial number, though they felt such a list probably existed at Zeiss-Ikon.

Tito, Mike, its funny that Novars should come up. I asked Charlie -- he lives in the next town over -- about them just a couple of weeks ago. According to him, Zeiss Ikon bought them in from several manufacturers, possibly including Carl Zeiss. They were made to ZI's specifications that may or may not have matched the other manufacturers' own products.

Cheers,

Dan

If it is strictly for landscape then I think you should get something you can focus off ground glass. If a Bush Pressman or a Baby Speed Graphic exceeds your price range, maybe look at some of the many german plate cameras. The Avus is a good bargain($25-$50) solid build that allows movements and it can take a variety of lenses. I have four Voigtlander Avus cameras fitted with the following: 105mm 4.5 CZJ Tessar, 101mm 4.5 Ektar, 190mm 6.3 B&L Tessar, 105mm 4.5 Raptar. If pocketability is a concern a 6x9 Patent Etui plate camera is more pocketable than any folder ever made. I have two, one Tessar, one Xenar. If you want to see the performance of these cameras and lenses, check my portfolio.

The main problem with folding cameras is the bellows which almost all leak to one degree or another. Replacement of a bellows is very expensive if you can even find a replacement part. Other problems are the alignment of the lens due to wear in the folding mechanism and lens fogging and shutter problems.

Your best bet is a 6x9 Graphic type camera since with that you can use interchangeable lenses and different roll film backs. Just make sure your camera has a Graflok type back. Expect to spend $150 for the camera and basic lens and $100 for a roll film back.

I bought an Agfa Record II 6x9 w/105mm Apotar 4.5 this past summer and couldn't be happier with it.

If you're willing to stretch your budget to ~$125 to $150, I'd strongly recommend that you contact Jurgen Kreckel at http://www.certo6.com

I bought my 6x9 from him, and he specializes in taking old 6x6 and 6x9 folders, stripping them down to the bare frame, and rebuilding them from the frame back up. He usually has Agfa Record II & III's, Frankas, Voigtlander Bessas, and also Zeiss Iktonas. When he refurbished a Record II for me, I asked that install a new red leather bellows -- it's really sweet.

He guarantees that the camera you purchase from him will work as described or he'll fix or replaced it at no charge for a time after you purchase it (I'm not sure how long - 30 or 60 days?).

You can also check for his auctions on Ebay -- his seller ID is certo6

I have no formal affiliation with Jurgen, I'm just a very satisfied customer.

- Craig