nikonichiban

I'm about to get a new DSLR, and I need a bag for it. I'm looking

for something that doesn't look like a camera bag, but is a camera

bag in terms of having convience, protection, and partitions. It's

not a safety thing really. I just don't like the design of most

camera bags. Domke seems promising.

Oh, and under US$100 please.

Your suggestions are appreciated.

My solution is fairly simple. I have a few fashion bags ( canvas, leather etc ... ) briefcase size to hunting bag size. I just go and buy a few pre-arranged insert from lowepro / Domke / billingham, and stick the whole thing into these normal accessary bag ( usually having some space left for other misc - say notepad, clothings ....

Contax has a great bag for the G series. It doesn't look like a camera bag but...the problem is that it DOES look like an expensive leather briefcase (mainly because it IS expensive and made of leather) and provides no disguise value at all.

Thieves will steal it just for the bag! ;-)

go to a surplus store and get a military closed cell foam sleeping pad, and some duct tape, and make your own dividers to fit any shoulder bag. If you're as lazy as I am, just cut pieces a little oversized and jam them in there as dividers, works fine.

A Kroger or Safeway bag: costs you nothing, the US a war for oil, though.

Seriously, why would you want to hide your camera in a stealth bag?

These posts reappear every two months or so. There must be an incredible amount over over-valuation of one's camera gear out there, a paranoia of sorts ..., the "everyone will drool over my old $$ camera" syndrome.

I feel sorry for you now that this affliction has hit you too, really sorry ...

Do you camouflage your Benz or Beamer, too? How, may I ask?

I recommend you consider a "backpack" or other bag from LL Bean that is designed for your particular requirements. They have many different sizes and styles. If you want a large separate compartment for filters, flashes and accessories, you can get a book bag with large multiple compartments. I use Domke inserts in various sizes for the camera and lenses. I also bought a computer laptop bag and fitted it with Domke inserts when I wanted a bag that looked like a briefcase. Joe Smith

In areas where theft risk is high, disguising your camera bag makes sense. One surprisingly useable substitute (don't laugh) is an ordinary diaper bag. Some are large enough that a camera bag may fit inside. However, if you frequent the same locations thieves may figure out that you're keeping something other than diapers.

I second the Domke F-802 Reporter's Satchel which looks like an ordinary canvas briefcase. It comes with an insert can be used to make two or three compartments. The two large side pockets are covered by the large flap and well sized for accessories. I have used mine to carry outfits ranging from a 35mm SLR with four lenses and SB-24 flash to a Graflex Super Graphic and meter.

Funny we once had our diaper bag stolen out of the back of our car while on the beach the thief shot out the rear window with a pellet gun took my leather jacket (the main target I'm sure and the purse and diaper bag it was covering we got the purse and diaper bag back some two hours later minus the good stuff, The jaket never to be seen again.

SO don't think a Diaper bag is secure. Holding on to the thing is secure

I didn't mean to imply that diaper bags were a foolproof solution. It is best if you can take it with you, which although I have occasionally used diaper bags or coolers, I usually take a small camera bag and carry it with me. If thieves look in a vehicle and it looks like the owner is trying to cover something with a jacket, sweater, yes even a diaper bag, it may invite unwanted attention. Where you are makes a difference. What would deter a thief in a small town might not work in a big city.

I guess, in response to the original post, I would choose a bag that has no insignia or decals to indicate that it serves to carry expensive equipment. Again, there are no guarantees. Good luck.

I carry my camera out of the bag in high risk areas. It's one thing to grab a bag off someone's shoulders or to slice off the strap, it's another to have to physically attack someone to take something. Most petty thieves aren't into assault to get something. It makes the bag look far less valuable also, since what's valuable is in my hand.

In years of walking through "high risk" areas, I have only been approached once, and the guy thought he could intimidate me into handing over the camera. I stood my ground, and he was unwilling to physically wrestle me for it, especially with other people on the street. Usually in "bad" neighborhoods, I just make eye contact with people and even say hello, then nobody shows any further interest in me or what I have. The best way to get approached and robbed is to look and act worried or out of place.

I think someone mentioned the Adorama Slinger bag above. It's only 30 bucks now and has gotten some good feedback in pop photo.

I have a Tamrac Velocity 3. It looks like a small messenger bag. Fits in really well walking around Manhattan. Only problem now is I can't fit my camera with the 80-200 mounted....