Venice in mid December

ed_tobin

I am going to Europe on business in December and will be able to spend a long weekend

in Venice. I have never been there before but I see a lot of great photographs of Venice on

this site. One person that I know told me to take rubber boots because of flooding.

Has anyone been there in December and what should I expect? If boots are needed are

there local stores to purchase them?

Is there any special events such as christmas markets going on that would be worth

photographing?

Thanks--Ed

I've been there in late november and yes, you do need rubber boots. They can be purchased locally. Look on the tourist board site for seasonal attractions. The main one is the carnival, but so much goes on in venice that there's always something to shoot. Street photography is brilliant; landscapes over the lagoon in the early morning light (easy in december with the late dawn); take a ferry to the outlying islands if its sunny for the wonderful painted houses. Can't go wrong! have a good trip.

The light can be very atmospheric; the only real problem is that there isn't much of it since days are short. The flooding is high tides and whilst it can be a bit inconvenient, it tends not to last too long. It is also predictable, and in the past I've run a search along the lines of "Venice tides" or "Venice flooding" before I've gone to check it out. You'll see piles of raised boards around the main thoroughfares which get put out if necessary.

Early December is arguably the best part of the year to see Venice - much less turists than usual, and the light is really something special just BECAUSE there is relatively little of it. Just take a look at the paintings by Venetian 18th century landscape artists such as Guardi and Canaletto and you will see that they nearly invariably selected overcast days with grey sky - there were and are excellent reasons for this. As regards subjects for photos, just go around and you will have countless occasions. My favourite are the many small local markets in the small squares. I would also second the recommendation to take the ferry to islands such as Torcello, Murano or Burano, but with just a week-end available you may rather find it more interesting to stay in Venice proper. You may also be aware that Venice is EXPENSIVE, particularly as regards accommodations. If this is a significant matter for you and are looking for an alternative place to stay, my suggestion is Chioggia - a fascinating "mini-Venice" and connected to the city by ferry.

Chioggia is located at the southern end of Venice's lagoon, sort of mid-way between Venice and the Po river. The easiest ways to reach it are from Padova (National Road 516 and then 309) or from Mestre (just facing Venice on the mainland and where the highway is) via the 309. I'm not immediately aware of the current bus connections, but I don't see why these should be a problem. The ferry boat from there follows the two littoral islands of Pellestrina and Lido to Venice. PLEASE NOTE, however: this is based on reminiscences on when I was living there, and I cannot guarantee that the ferry connection still exists or runs in winter!Check first! This said, I stand by my suggestion of Chioggia as a valide alternative quarter even if you then have to go to Venice by bus.