What's the deal with Canon and their rebates?

jeffc1

I am sure that Canon has screwed up other accounts along with mine, but I just

needed to vent! I purchased a 5D and batt grip back in May or June and I was

supposed to have received the rebates. They first, 6-8 weeks after the

purchase, sent me their famous "post card" with their reasoning for why they

were not able to submit the refund, which was because I have a post office box,

so I had to call in a "physical address" for security purposes of all things? I

gave them my physical address, and asked that he read it back to me only to

find out that he had that all messed up and was going to be sending my rebate

checks to another address? So I cleared that up, after I had him repeat it all

over again, and of course I was told that it would be another 4-weeks before I

got the rebate. Well, 6-weeks later (today) I called to check on the status of

the checks only to find out that boy genius did change the address, but never

submitted that information for payment! So I have this lady asking me questions

and I can hardly understand what she was saying, but as it turns out, she was

going to submit the information for payment. And guess what? Yep, another 4-

week wait! I love Canon equipment, but their service has a lot to be desired.

Why doesn't Canon just simply offer instant rebates instead of having to go

through all of this crap, since security is the so called issue, even though

they just about sent my checks, that he never submitted for payment, to the

wrong address? Gotta love their security measures! NOT! OK, I am done...next?

;-)

Doesn't the rebate form specifically say, no PO Boxes?

I'm NOT blaming the victim here, because I think that "no PO's" is a silly policy, but I think this does illustrate the need to read the fine-print before sending in anything.

"Why doesn't Canon just simply offer instant rebates instead of having to go through all of

this crap..."

You need to ask Canon that question. We don't know. Nevertheless you screwed up by not

following the instructions. It clearly states PO Boxes are not allowed. I've never had a single

problem with Canon rebates but I always double check everything is correct before sending it

off.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

"Why doesn't Canon just simply offer instant rebates instead of having to go through all of this crap..."

"You need to ask Canon that question. We don't know."

Sure we do, as Ocean Physics has noted. The industry term is "breakage." The companies that offer rebates figure breakage into their offers. They expect a certain percentage to not apply for the rebates, others to not submit them correctly, still more to fall through the cracks after submission, etc.

The margin between what instant rebates would cost them and the total value of rebates actually redeemed more than pays for the (scummy) fulfillment companies they use to administer the process. Apparently, all these companies (in the USA, anyway) are located in Young America, MN. (Are there multiple rebate fulfillment companies, or just one big one? Anyone have a nice, powerful ICBM lying around?)

What isn't known is how much customer dissatisfaction from negative rebate experiences costs companies in future sales, but they probably have that factored in, as well.

Well, you all certainly put me in my place, woowee! I am not sure if I included the physical address with the P.O. Box or not, but I am from a small town where P.O. boxes are the only way to get mail otherwise they send it back. So I guess I was torn and didn't see why it would have been a big deal. Regardless, their rebate policies are horrible! They don't have to be so complicated, but they are, so be it.

Most companies don't handle their own rebates. They farm out the work to sub-contractors who probably get a bonus for denying applications that don't follow the rules. You can't expect them to let things slide, because they won't.

It's bad customer relations, but if rebate programs didn't pay off, they wouldn't be offered. All you can do is follow the rules TO THE LETTER and keep copies of all the forms.

The reason for not offering instant rebates is that rebates encourage people to buy and a significant proportion of them don't bother to apply for the rebate or make some error on their application. In this way the company makes more money.

I recently got a rebate on a computer. The rebate company offered an "instant rebate" for a 10% cut, i.e. you could get the check tomorrow instead of in "8-10 weeks". I took the 90% now vs. 100% sometime in the future (when I'd probably have forgotten to check if they'd sent it).

I got a "free" Canon printer with my new MacBook. The rebate form asks for the original red tag on the inside flap of the box.

There is not red tag to be found anywhere.

Needless to say, they've rejected my "application" and have lost any hope of getting my business the future.

Same with Iomega who wasted about and hour of my time making me jump through unnecessary hoops to convince them that my micro drive was defective.

They must think we have short memories.

JVC refused to repair or replace a defective camcorder years ago. I don't have to write this stuff down. I will take it to the grave.

PO Boxes are perfectly secure, and in my case are the only way for me to securely receive mail. The US Mail service does not deliver to my house (if this sounds strange to anyone reading, please consider it rural Arizona weirdness). Instead, I would need to use a roadside mail box in an area where the mail boxes regularly get vandalized or broken into. For security, I use a PO Box at the Post Office.

To successfully get the Canon USA rebate, people who need to use a PO Box might want to consider having all mail addressed to their physical house address officially forwarded to their PO Box by the US Mail service. That way, Canon gets an address that is not a PO Box, and the rebate check safely arrives at the secure PO Box, not at an insecure mail box by the side of the road. I would recommend testing that the forwarding works correctly by sending yourself an empty envelope before relying on the forwards.

The only logical explanation I can think of for the "no PO boxes" rule is that it is yet another arbitrary rule to ensure that Canon can exclude a few more people from the rebate.

Amen Gerry!

That's EXACTLY my case. I have a secure (locked) P.O. Box where my studio is located, but I live in the country where I have a roadside mail box where anything can happen from theft to weather (wind & rain). There has been many times where my mail box at home was open when I go to get my mail. Finally, someone that knows what I'm talk'n bout. And I am sure that Canon has their "reasoning" for what they do as you have touched on also. Thanks for having my back!

How in the heck does Canon think that a P.O. Box isn't secure?

I think that the "No PO" requirement is to ensure that only US residences can apply.

A number of Canadians rent US PO so that they can have a US mailing address. This is necessary to conduct business with US companies who only send to US mailing addresses. If you live next to the border, it's a short trip to pick up your mail.

"Why doesn't Canon just simply offer instant rebates instead of having to go through all of this crap"

Using rebate is a simple accounting game. For the current quarter of a sale, the revenue is booked, not some of the costs (rebate). So the profit for the quarter will be higher, which can be translated to higher executive?s bonus. It?s particular true for the last quarter of a fiscal year.

I also get screwed on the no PO Boxes.

It is the only way I get mail. If you send it to my street adress, it gets return to sender.

I always put both my street adress and PO Box on the form. It worked for years until about 2004. Now I get nothing from most companies.

I did get the Canon rebate that way last December. I haven't bought anything since then.

The real purpose of rebates is to screw people out of money if they aren't 100% accurate on the submission.

Philip

The stuff about NO P.O. Boxes is a downer. Living where there is NO rural delivery and we have to have a P.O. Box makes it difficult to deal with a number of businesses. Even FedEx and UPS drop the packages at the Post Office where we go to pick them up. The postmistress puts them behind the counter or, if small enough, in the P.O. Box.

<small><i><blockquote>

Doesn't the rebate form specifically say, no PO Boxes?

</blockquote> </i> </small><p>

As long as something isn't being delievered via FedEx or UPS there's no legitimate reason not to accept PO Box addresses. Many firms do specify that, however, because they want to create databases of (more) real addresses. <p>

In the future, if you want to use a PO Box, simply give the address as 'Suite xxx' with the Zip+4 code identifying the address to the Post Office as a PO Box.

You know what's really funny about Canon's so called "security" is that fact that when they finally do send the rebate check, what is it? Yep! A postcard like check stating what it is and the exact dollar amount all out there for anyone to see and/or steal? Maybe that's what they hope for too? I don't care who you are, or what you say, that just makes no sense what so ever!

The reason why companies don't like instant rebates is that the store may not give it to the customer and keep the money. They won't tell the customer unless they ask about it specifically. Also, what's to stop a store from claiming more rebates from the Canon than they actually sold in a period? Rebates lower the price for a consumer but the store has stock that was purchased at a higher price. A store can claim a rebate for items not sold yet or not during the promotion period.