I have owned this 20D for about a month...I have shot over 2500

frames so far. One of the big attractions for going digital to me

was the cost-free joy of shooting as much as I wanted and exploring

all sorts of different setups/lighting etc...without spending a

freaking fortune on film/development.

Looking now at the expected lifespan of the shutter

mechanism...around 50K...I am going to hit it in just over a year

and a half.

Man, I guess this freedom of exploration isn't free after all!

oh well, I guess it will give me a reason to upgrade to the D30-40

whatever ;-)

sean

There are things more important to worry about than the shutter life of a 20D. It should last more than 50,000 cycles. At 2500 cycles (80 shots per day, every day?) per month that's 20 months before you hit 50,000. You will move on to the new body by then. I would guess it should last more like 100,000 cycles.

The 15,000 shots were just for the summer and fall games for hs baseball games from varsity, jv to freshmen teams. The pics are for web site purposes only ... nothing fancy. http://www.bellairebaseball.org.

The real question in my mind is ... if the 20D shutter life only last 5000 frames, I should not have purchased the 20d just for the purpose of shooting baseball games for the school. I would stick to the lower end digital camera which would do more or less the same job.

When Spring time comes, I will take more than 70,000 frames easily bewteen all the teams. Wow! what to do? Please advise.

Frederick

Frederick if you are shooting that much I hope you are getting paid something! From what has been discussed here a shutter replacement on a 10D/20D costs around $300.00 so it's not like the camera will have to be thrown away when the shutter does go, but you will be without a camera for about 2-4 weeks. Your best bet would be to buy a second 20D, someone who shoots as much as you should have a backup body anyway.

No ... I do not get paid for any of my work .... time, material and labor. But they all appreciate the work and effort that I have put in for taking pics and operating the web site for the school and parents. Strictly volunteering. I have been doing this for several years since my son started playing baseball from little league, pony league and now high school. I enjoy doing it ... it's fun, rewarding, get to know the my son better, the players and the parents.

Frederick