Best used one degree spotmeter

darcy_cote

I like the Pentax spot meter. You can find the for cheep on Ebay, and if you do the Zone System, you can have it converted or buy one made for the zone system.

There are plenty 1 degree spot meter out there, just check ebay and make sure if you buy it used that you can try it out first to make sure it reads right.

www.ryanmcintosh.net

I have a Sekonic Digi Spot, L488, that I replaced with a Gossen Ultra Spot. The Digi has a true 1 degree and a 30 degree adverage selectable reading. Readout on the side panel and in the view finder in ev or time/f stop. Also reads flash via its PC socket to trip the flash. Works great. The Ultra is a very nice meter with a lot of bells and whistles. Care has to be used when packing it the camera case as its soft side belt pouch allows buttons to be pushed which turns the meter on or runs the battery down. The Digi has a soft sided belt pouch also but has a slide type on/off switch. Both take 9V batteries. I purchased the Digi at Keeble & Shuchat www.kspphoto.com a few years ago for $175, they bring $100-$150 on ebay now. Some say the Sekonic is calibrated for 12% gray but it reads .1ev of the Gossen or my F4 in spot mode.

Darcy-

I've used the Zone VI-modified digital Pentax for the past five years or so and it has worked perfectly. I haven't done a direct comparison to a standard Pentax meter and so I can't say how much of a difference the mods make, but I can say that the metering area is extremely precise, the actual metering has been bang on, and the zone system dial label is convenient.

Regards,

Rick

As with most threads like this, give it till he end of the day today and you will have every

spot meter on the market recommended. If yu look through past threads here and in the

large format forum you will find many on meters and I believe you will find that the

overwhelming favorite is the Pentax Digital Spotmeter. It has absolutely no bells whistles

and that is why it is so popular. It is small, has a bright viewfinder and easy to read FV

info in the viewfinder. You hold the trigger down, sweep the secene and look at the

various readings then do some simple mental calculating and shoot.

I have used the Pentax V, the Pentax Digial, Minolta, Gossen Ultraspot, Bewi and Sekonic

778 spotmeters. I love the info and functions of the Gossent but it is way too large for

me. All of the others work fine but IMO the Pentax digial leads the pack because of its

size and simplicity. I have been using my current Pentax digital for over 10 years without

problems. I also have and use a Sekonic 778 which has been recently discontinued. I

almost like it better than the Pentax because of its bells and whistles. It can be used for

flash, it can measure either 1 or 3 degrees, has memory functions and gies you some very

useful readouts for Zone calculations. The only reason it is my secondary as opposed to

primary meter is size. BTW, the Sekonic and the Pentax are within 1/3 stop of each other

so I can use them both with no problem.

Go for the Pentax, you will not be disappointed. You can expect to pay between 200-300

for a used Pentax Digital and about the same for most of the others listed above, except

for the Bewi which is an odd duck that has not been manufactured for at least a decade.

I agree with what the last guy said. Give the thread a few days, and people will say every single spot meter on the market and you will be very confused. So far, it seems most people recommend the Pentax meter...so that is what I would highly recommend. You can find one for a good price on Ebay, or buy it new for a few hundred dollars.

Www.RyanMcIntosh.net

Actually the street price for the Pentax Digital Spot new is around $450 and it has not

been terribly available for the past six months. There were rumors of its being

discontinued but that does NOT seem to be the case. B&H, however, no longer carry it or

at least no longer list it on their website. Badger has them in stock and MidWest has, or

had a few nice used ones.

Darcy, try your 10 deg attachment for the photography that you do. If you find that you want to meter areas that are smaller than the 10 degrees, then you will find a 1 deg spotmeter useful. You can test the accuracy of the metering region of your meter by metering a light bulb in a dark room -- the meter readings should fall rapidly as the bulb is moved outside of the region that the meter claims to measure.

In the photography I do, metering would be more difficult with a 10 degree meter than with a 1 deg spotmeter.

I have used the analog and digital Pentax meters. I recommend the digital because it is smaller and less likely to break.

I'd say you do need a 1 degree, but if you want it for ambient only then that's simpler and cheaper anyway. I have a Minolta Flashmeter F, and it works great. But I don't like it - it looks and feels like a toy pistol, and while not paranoid I'd hate to think some cop might mistake what I'm pointing with ...

There is nothing wrong with the Pentax (an excellent meter indeed), yet Minolta F (or M) will set you back a lot less, will give you simplicity along with some sophistication you may find quite useful at times, and is more compact and substantially lighter than the Pentax. The latter being (to me anyways) a key virtue to consider for a long day of landscaping.

• 1 month later...

I just have to finish off this thread although it is old. I called my local photo shop and they

had a used minolta spotmeter m on consignment. I payed only $80 US for it ($100 Can). It

works perfectly;excellent little meter. Wow awesome deal and I didn't have to bid on Epay.

:-)