Installing a SB 800 to a Nikon D70

ron_hessing

I've gotten the built-in flash to trigger my SB-800 wirelessly, but the results stink. The SB-800 COMPLETELY over-exposes the shot. I set the D70 in Commander Mode, then set the flash to wireless remote. And I'm not sure how to make this part work properly.

Do you have to have a SB-800 on the camera to properly work with one wirelessly (and therefore have two SB-800s)?

-Ray

You need an SB-800 connected to the camera to remote-fire the rest with control. The flip-up flash won't allow the SB-800 to work iTTL. It's in the manual. Search for other strings in here on this topic - it's come up quite a bit lately, and there are in-depth explanations.

Never tried iTTL in commander mode. But have successfully used one single SB 800, triggered wirelesly using the built-in flash in manual mode. I would expect TTL to work as well following this process. </p>

You need to set your flash unit in commander mode. Make sure you use the right channel, 2 or 3, can't remember (check the manual, I don't have it with me). Then set your camera flash custom setting to commander mode as well. Choose TTL, AA or M. In M, you can set the power level you want the remote unit to use. And make sure the sensor in the SB 800 sees the light from the built-in flash.

• 1 month later...

there is another way to use both flash (built-in and SB800), you have to chose to use the built-in flash in normal ttl mode and set the SB800 like EL-4 or somthing else. It should work like a slave light mantaining his hown control of light-emission.

bye.

Simofreccia