40mm lens hood advise needed

julio_m

As some of you know, it is a real pain finding the Canon made hoods for their LTM 50 /1.8 and 100/

3.5. I don't want to pay $30 for Cameraquest's version; does anyone have any experience tweaking the

available generic 39 or 40.5 mm versions to fit the 40mm thread without damaging the filter thread ?

Thanks

KEH has the Canon 50/1.9 rectangular hood, with adapter, for $21 in ugly condition. While I've never tried it on the 50/1.8, I haven't heard any negative reports. These vented rectangular hoods are just great, far better than a round one, even a vented round one. They just vanish in the viewfinder.

For the 100/3.5, you can use a Leica FIKUS hood, although that's probably beyond your budget.

There's really no good solution, Julio. You can try a few layers of masking tape in the front thread of the lens so a 39mm screw-in hood will fit but you might knock it off easily. For filters alone it's a good solution. If you don't mind cutting grooves in the front so the clips on the Leitz hoods have something to grip they'll work, but they're way too expensive as it is. If you can find a series VI 40mm adapter you can use series VI hoods. The trouble is that 40mm was about the rarest of the rare as far as filter threads went. Leitz used 39mm for over half a century. Nikon and a bunch of others thought 40.5mm was the way to go. Canon stopped production of their rangefinder lenses over thirty years ago. Cameraquest isn't overcharging at $30. Just be glad that somebody still makes them at all.