Problem rewinding Kiev 4AM

Hi all,

I'm in need of some help with the Kiev 4 AM rangefinder.

The Kiev 4-AM is distinct from the other Kiev 4 models because it does

not feature a light meter, features a non-removable take-up spool, and

has a slightly different rewind mechanism.

In theory, to rewind the film, one of the twisty things on the bottom

of the camera should be turned a few degrees until it aligns with a

red dot. When that's done, the rewind lever on top of the camera

should be able to rewind the film. However, I recieved a Kiev 4AM this

morning and despite twisting the thing on the bottom, the camera is

giving me far too much resistance to rewind the film.

If anyone could help me I'd be very grateful.

Thanks.

I had the same problem. If you remove the back, you will see that there is a small metal shield (?) on the inside that is connected to the twisty thing on the outside bottom. When you move the twisty thing to the red dot, the metal shield is supposed to rotate and press against a part on the camera body. When that part is pushed in a bit (with most cameras this would be done by means of a button on the base) the roller that catches the film perforations is supposed to be allowed to roll freely so that the film can be rewound.

What I did, which has worked after a fashion, is that I put some duct tape over the end of the piece that gets pushed, in order to build it up a bit, so that when the shield is pressed against it, the roller frees up.

Clear as mud?

I sure hope someone else who really knows whet they are doing answers this. :>

Aha!

That's more or less what's wrong with mine. It seems that the little metal thingy that sits next to the twisty lock thing on the bottom of the camera is completely missing on my camera. That means that even when the lock is turned to the red dot, there's nothing inside the camera to move the rod near the sprockets. That explains the problem.

This means that I'm in the market for a replacement 4AM or 4M back for my camera. I don't suppose you have any idea where I might be able to get one?

You're probably just better off to get another 4AM if you cannot locate a back. These late model Kievs often have enough issues that it takes a few cameras to get enough parts to make one work. A broken/parts Kiev 4AM shouldn't be hard to come by if you really want a cheap solution.

The 4A has a normal button but I guess the "twisty thing" is an improvement since the button must be held during the entire rewind. (unlike say my Nikons)