Does New VR lenses work on tripod?

jemini_joseph

I couldn't see a definitive answer to this question. Many people say,

manual says this work. But seems nobody tried it. Can someone try

this please? I know the older VR (80-400) won't work. But how about

200-400/4 and 200/2? If this works this will help avoid the vibration

when you use TC and the effective focal length is 1000 or more.

Thanks in adcance

From Nikon's tech spec page on the 200mm f/2G ED-IF AF-S VR Nikkor

( http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1&grp=5&productNr=2150 ) :

"Vibration Reduction: Equivalent of shooting at a shutter speed three stops faster. Active

mode for large vibration, tripod vibration reduction. Automatic detection of panning."

I could not find a similar statement for the 200-400mm f/4.

My 70-200 VR is stable when active on a tripod. Inside, or under still conditions, the image point tends to drift slowly until it reaches a stop. Under windy conditions, it quashes camera motion just as when hand-held. You can, of course, turn the VR mode off, but I find that is not necessary.

I use a Tokina 400/5.6 with a Kenko Pro 3x teleconverter on my D70 to shoot big moon and sun shots. This rig sits on my Gitzo 1127. This set up is prone to vibration, wind, mirror slap, etc. It's too bad that the 80-400 VR can't help reduce vibration in this situation. I'd dump my 400/5.6 prime for on in a heartbeat if it did.

Vince, you are right. I know my Sigma 500+ 2X produces very sharp results when tested on 1548 tripod with high speed from a cement platform. But in real life it's almost impossible to get very sharp results. So I gave up my TC-20E for the time being. Hand holding one thing. But avoiding the small vibration because of huge magnification is another...

Anyway I'm looking into 80-400 as a backup/travel tele. I cannot take 500mm and tripod for a weekend trip..