new digital rebel

glenn_s

The camera you don't have doesn't take pictures, and it won't for a while if it doesn't exist yet. The camera you have does. That's a huge difference. With a $300 rebate (if you buy 2 qualifying lenses) the DRebel is pretty damn cheap today.

That being said, I wouldn't be entirely surprised to see Canon migrate the sensor of the 20D into a new DRebel within the next 12 months.

Unless you were using slide film, the quality of images you get with a digital rebel, under most situations, should be comparable to what you were getting with film.

What are your plans with the camera? How big do you want to print? Do you have any lenses? Do you plan on buying any lenses? In many situations (like indoor, hand-held, with the aperture wide open), the kit lens doesn't even take advantage of the 6MP sensor. So, unless you plan on getting good lenses and printing lots of 16x20 prints, you're wasting your effort and money on anything more than 6MP.

If you have specific reasons for wanting or needing 8MP, go ahead and get the DREB. Like JBQ said, the camera you don't have won't take very good pictures.

I have a 28-105USM and a 75-300IS for my Rebel-G. 6.3mp is plenty for my use, I just thought the new release would have updated white balance, AF, faster memory access, etc. I guess I could always sell it if a new one comes out with features that I can't live without.

I bought my Digital Rebel this past summer and have yet to revert back to my film camera. Even with film, the largest print I made was an 8 x 10. Results of the prints may be similar, but transferring the images to the PC has never been easier. I get more work done in less time. It's almost like comparing dial-up to broadband. You can get the same thing on your PC screen, but how fast does it get there?

Rather than a dumbed down 20D I'd expect the next digital Rebel to have a very similar feature set and styling to the film Rebel T2 (EOS 300X) - remember that the Digital Rebel is really a DLSR version of the Rebel Ti. That means second curtain sync, selectable focus modes, better focus point selection, etc. I wouldn't think it is a racing certainty that the camera will use the 20D sensor. It's also quite likely that Canon will release an even lower end model as well - all the time they are working towards sub $500 DSLRs (though the falling dollar is making that tough). You can also expect that Nikon will be announcing more cameras - I think they promised their DSLR line would consist of 5 different bodies by the end of 2005. If you're coming from a Rebel G and don't make larger enlargements then any of these cameras will be an upgrade in features for almost no penalty in image quality even against optimal film technique. I'd expect second hand values of Digital Rebels and D70s will probably drop around $200 when the new cameras are released.

You have the 300D now, well maybe a updated version later ..

There should be a lower cheaper model too like with less features. Maybe a EOS 3000D??

The 20D is like the EOS 33 or so is it called Eclan 7 in the USA?

There are the higher models already the 1D and 1Ds like the 1v but one for the PJ and the other for the high resolu customer..

The entry of the 3000D would fill the gap in my opinion.. smaller body, less functions, prob a 6MP sensor with the 1.6FOV, a dumbed 300D. Like the EOS 3000 film, less user friendliness and less options but in most times you should be able to get great pix if with a hassle.

• 2 months later...