Canon 50mm 1.4 worser than Canon 50mm 2.5 macro at f2.8

artofseeing

You should not be surprised at these results. 50mm "normal" lenses are not at their best at their closest focusing distance. Your test looks like it was takens at the very closest setting on the 50/1.4. If most of your photography is at this working distance the 50/1.4 is not your best choice. Before discarding the lens, you might re-test at 10 meters or more at f8 or f11 where the 50/1.4 will probably be optimized.

I have the 50/2.5 macro and never had a 50/1.4. I got the macro version

because everyone is saying that the 50/1.4 is soft wide open, a little better at

f2.8 but still not as good as the 50/2.5 which is tack sharp even wide open.

So this is no surprise to me at all. The 50mm/2.5 is noisy and AF speed is

slow, but it's incredibly sharp and distortion-free. Just picked up the 1:1 life

size converter for this lens.

I have both lenses and the EF 50 2.5 CM is sharper than the EF 50 1.4 USM at F2.8. Yes, it's razor sharp wide open.In fact, it's even better at 5.6, although I can't see much difference beyond that. Plus, the 50 2.5 can stopdown to F32. Of course the 50 2.5 is virually distortion free at all distances whereas the 50 1.4 has plenty of barrel distortion below 2 meters. Strangely the 50 2.5 has better AF in low light and a smoother and finer MF ring (albeit thinner).

I think the EF 50 2.5 CM is among Canon's sharpest lenses. However, the 50 1.4 is still excellent and sports F1.4 for murky light images.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter