Nikon D80, D200 or Fuji Finepix S3 Pro

I want to upgrade from my D50 and I'm considering the following three options. I

D80, a D200 or a Fuji Finepix S3 Pro. I was curious what everyone thought to be

the best choice. I would also welcome any other ideas, provide they are cameras

that use Nikon mount lenses. I don't want to have to buy a whole new set of

lenses unless there is a REALLY good reason to do so. Thanks for the help!

The question in my mind is really whether the D80 is good enough for you. The D80 and D200 are similar enough such that unless you need a specific feature (or two) of the D200 then the D80 should produce very very similar images and cost you much less (FWIW, I have two D200's and used to have both a D70 and D100). The Fuji is certainly a fine camera but unless you need something that it is uniquely good at then the D80/D200 is a better buy IMHO.

I would recommend reading Thom Hogan (http://www.bythom.com/nikon.htm) and DPreview's (http://www.dpreview.com/) reviews to help with your decision. Good luck!

a D200 or a Fuji Finepix S3 Pro

I have both. More detail with the D200, and much, much faster.However the Fuji has at least one stop better dynamic range, and it has a really nice firm grip in your hand worth a half stop...skin tones are also very nice on the Fuji....a wedding photographers favourite. Plus it has better low light performance.

Tough call.

The D200 functions much closer to the Dx2 than the D80. Its just a lot more camera. D80

has more consumer friendly type functions. D200 calls for a little more understanding of the

camera functions to get the most out of it. Can get great pictures off of either, or the D50 or

the S3. At a certain point the issue isn't the camera.

What are you going to use it for? The main advantage of the D200 over the D80 is quick, good autofocus. I'm a wedding photographer and the D80 wouldn't cut it for me. However, if you're an amateur then the D80 is all you need. I'm not sure about the price difference between the D80 and the S3, but in general the S3 produces better images.

• 1 year later...

If most of the photos taken just for documentary or journalistic pick N D80(A+) or D200(A++)

If most of the photos taken for fine creative art pick FF FinePix S3 pro (A+++)

Nikon & Canon have fast speed, Fujifilm take along time images process. The images processing procedure called D-Range. Its have same procedure like PhaseOne did. (Now in june 2008, the last news about PhaseOne is P65+: images size 60.5 Mp, 16 bit and only 1 frame per second)<div>00QMln-61191684.jpg.f5a9061f5c9592ce80d492d0addc33ed.jpg</div>