Why is Leica so expensive to maintain?

john15

Leica NJ charges a little more than Sherry, DAG, Kinderman or any of the other repair

shops. In their defense I must say that they do very nice work and turnaround time is very

good. So far they have turned things around for me in 4-5 weeks. They are also my first

choice, if I have to have serious work done on a lens.

But compared to other brands it's not excessive. I've had my Hasselblads and Rolleiflex

done and they were in the same ballpark. A friend of mine paid about $400 bucks to get

his Nikon F3 rebuilt.

Feli

If it ain't broke why fix it? Send it to an independent to get the work you need. When I lived in Chicago my tech. would adjust the alignment for free and sell my gear for only a 10% commission. I prefer the mom-and-pop stores and generally will pay more because I hate the Walmarts of the world.

BTW, I did DIY with my RF error.

Feli,

"...and turnaround time is very good. So far they have turned things around for me in 4-5

weeks."

4-5 weeks is a good turnaround time? :)

I had DAG do some work on my camera (upgraded viewfinder, replaced some parts, and

did a full CLA) and it was turned around in under a week. The camera was sent on Monday,

received on Tuesday and I had it back in my hands by Saturday morning! And, not only

that, the camera works superbly!

THAT, IMHO, is what I would consider a GREAT turnaround time. :)

Cheers

• 8 months later...