Why is Leica so expensive to maintain?

john15

I phoned Leica in Northvale,NJ, to ask about a rangefinder

adjustment. The repair department told me that they would need to do

a CLA and the cost would be about $320. That's a bit more than 25% of

the cost of the camera [used, of course]. Just curious about what

makes the Leica more expensive to maintain than other cameras.

I suspect because we (Leica owners) bear it, thus creating the market forces for them to

gouge us. Is there a quality difference between Leica and Nikon and Canon? Probably, but

enough to justify the price? We keep saying yes by buying. Maybe we should unionize ?!!!

Collective bargaining here we come!

Think they might be going out of business soon and have charge more just to maintain their operation. A rangefinder adjustment should not be that expensive and if you are knowledgeable enough you could do it yourself. Search the old thread. Otherwise, sending it in for a CLA by a competent repairman such as Gerry Smith (Kindermann), Don Goldberg (DAG), Sherry Krauter, and many others unlisted repair person should save you a ton of money. Depends on where you live.

As a business owner I don't feel the prices are unreasonable with the cost of overhead & skilled labor involved.

If one had a Xerox service call for the same amount of time it would probably be close to the same amount if not more.

It's much easier to keep costs down if you're a small shop. Leica is not going to be philanthropic to it's loyalists either as it's in business to make money.

Imagine what Hermes charges for a replacement strap for one of it's handbags - there's a reason Hermes took a stake in Leica as it's a luxury goods company and most of the time people don't ask how much does it cost but rather how soon can i have it.

You could also check with some of the other service providers that do Leica work & save a few dollars.

John, It seems to me that Leica is hedging their bet. Without having the camera in

hand, they are speculating that a complete CLA is necessary. The rangefinder

adjustment takes very little time and I remember hearing a story of one Leica owner,

who lives near Northvale, walking into Leica with a rangefinder misalignment issue

and having the problem rectified within minutes without a charge. I deal with a

camera repair person locally and the rangefinder adjustments he has made for me

have been free. (Of course, it helps to take him to lunch every once in a while.) On

the other hand, $320 for a CLA every 10 years or so is relatively cheap; especially

when I see numerous Canon 1Ds's for sale at half their original price just two years

after their introduction. The depreciation there is the cost of 12 CLA's.

It seems to me that it is fairly cheap. I know my father bought an M6 back when they came

out, and he has been shooting it for twenty years without a CLA. I checked the speeds and

everything seems fine to me. I would say that is pretty cheap to maintain. Even if he did

CLA it, that's 300 dollars for 20 years of use. Point me to the car maker that can do that,

and I will pay <i>you</i> 300 bucks...

Camera repairs have never been exactly cheap. (Don't forget the ravages of inflation.) At least a Leica can be repaired. No "Sorry, they don't make that circuit board anymore!" Even if it sometimes means making a part.

The low-power constant-acceleration Leica shutter is much fussier than other, more modern, focal plane shutter designs. The plus side of the shutter not having much (spring) power behind it is that it is quiet, but you pay for more maintenance sensitivity. So that is what makes a Leica CLA pricey.

But, one certainly doesn't need a CLA in order to adjust the rangefinder!

factory service for any product, like dealer service for cars, is always the most expensive option. if you live in a large city, especially on the east or west coast of the usa, there is almost certainly a local repairer who can do an alignment for $50 or less. if you have an ongoing business relationship witha repairer, it is the kind of thing he may well do for free.

it is also very easy to do it yourself.

don't assume every problem means a CLA; and don't assume that only sherry, dan, gerry or leica NJ are the only places who can do CLAs.

if you live near boston, email me offline.

A friend of mine who used to work at Leica in the repair department (not as a technician though)told me when he was there Leica always insisted on doing a full overhaul no matter what the problem. They stopped doing specific repairs allegedly because people would sent the cameras back with other problems claiming they weren't wrong before Leica had worked on it and they ended up doing complete overhauls for free. Don't know if that was true then or now. If all your Leica really needs is a rangefinder adjustment, call Don or Sherry and ask if they'll agree to do just that.

Apparently Leica will only do the full CLA, which means testing and adjusting the shutter speeds, etc. They probably don't want to have to fix one thing and then have an angry customer tell them there was something else wrong that they could have fixed while they had the camera. You may be able to find someone here to do just the rangefinder adjustment for less money.

"Imagine what Hermes charges for a replacement strap for one of it's handbags - there's a reason Hermes took a stake in Leica as it's a luxury goods company and most of the time people don't ask how much does it cost but rather how soon can i have it."

If a Hermes bag needs a replacement strap Hermes should pay all shipping AND fix it for free. If a high end, big ticket item falls apart it's either defective or junk, and the company should stand behind what they produce.

That said, when you buy a Leica you probably already know the shutter will need servicing about every 15 years no matter how much you pay for the camera, Kindermann in Toronto quoted me a ballpark $250.00 to $350.00 Canadian for a CLA, a bit cheaper than N.J. Leica. That, my friend, is in part the price of owning a camera/collectable that confers serious status and prestige on its owner. Then again you can always save &320.00 by foregoing the CLA and just wear the camera around as a fashion accessory.

I do a lot of leather work and sometimes someone brings me a camera case that has the stitching coming apart. When I quote a repair charge many can't understand why it costs more to repair than it sold for originally. They don't realize that taking the damn thing apart to repair it involves time and sometimes replacement of leather that has dried out and crumbbles, and that the repair person has a bundle invested in tools and equipment. A Leica ERC with the stiching rotted around the fastening screw even requires special tools to remove the screw and then reinstall it. I've used and traded caneras for fifty or so years and never begrudged the cost of legitimate repairs. You will search far and wide to find another commodity that will yield the years of useful service that a quality camera will, paricularly a Leica, if properly maintained.

Rod -- don't tell me that you seriously expect a camera with a complex shutter and film

advance system (by this, I am excluding view cameras etc) to stay in peak condition for 15

years of use without a tune up? Lubricants change consistency and work their way out of

the parts they are supposed to work for, vibrations stress components, foam decays --

these are all unpreventable occurrences. There are plenty M3's that have never had a CLA

that still work, but that does not mean that they don't need to be worked on. It's like a car,

many can drive 10,000-15,000 miles without an oil change, but that does not mean they

should...

Stuart, I believe Rod is right, it can last 15 years with regular use, which means exercising the shutter speeds once a month if you do not use the camera. Heavy professional use and total lack of use may necessitate more frequent tune up. But I have an M4-P that has gone at least that long without service.

This isn't especially a Leica connected problem. IMO the main cause is the lack of skilled workmanships.

Where I leave (somewhere in France) their are two skilled repairement for mechanical cameras they were four a few years ago.

The first is cheap an is the kind of guy that is so gentle that he will not refuse any work. He has a lot of work, in fact too much : he's overworked he gas huge delays and sometimes does bad work thus is had many returns and then he has more work. Where it get really embarrasing is that there's a lot of people who prefer their old mechanical cameras (you can include me but also my sister who burn at best 2 rolls per year but is conviced that her Minolta XG-1 is a much better camera than her digital Nikon, and you can't imagine the number of people who told me "those SRT/FM/FTb/K1000/Retina/(add your favorite).... where great cameras taking beautiful photos without flash") but the problem is that these camera are getting old : cheap repairmen have a lot of work simply to replace foam !

Let's come to the second repairman he has found the solution to have less work : he increase his prices. It's simple for 200$ you will not bring him a jammed Minolta SRT-100X : you will do it yourself if you have the guts or search another used camera. That's how he ends repairing mainly Leica, Nikon F and MF cameras.

That's also why they are more and more camera hackers....

<i>Two CLAs in 20 years for my M6</i>

<br><br>

jon, you obviously dont use your cameras that much do you...? i need one of these at least every 2 years...the rf gets outta wack with constant use, as does the timings of the shutter. you might wanna get out there more often?

Thanks for the informative responses. I only checked with Leica NJ because I live about an hour or so away from Northvale and I could hand deliver the camera. I can sort of understand why Leica wouldn't agree to simply adjust the vertical RF alignment but insisted on a complete CLA. However, if Leica designed the M6 so that a special [expensive] tool is required to effect an adjustment that was a DIY job with the earlier Ms. it seems to me that they might be a bit more flexible in performing this basic service. Or make the tool more affordable. I don't see good reason for a CLA as the shutter seems to be OK and, as the saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I can probably find someone in NYC to adjust the RF and if that function becomes a chronic problem than, perhaps, I will turn the M6 in on an earlier M [M4-P, M4-2?] where the RF can be adjusted in the field. Or buy a Bessa R3A. I love the feel-in-hand of the Leica M but the Bessa feels pretty good, too.