New Leica MP Classic Edition Announced

chenwah_lee

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<I>doing this sort of thing takes away from any engineering/design work that they might use to actually improve their basic product</I><P>

I can't see that this camera took much engineering or design work beyond the current regular MP... it costs very little to put a cover over the battery chamber and omit the electronics and one hole in the body covering. What's more likely is that it, along with the other 'instant collectibles', is providing part of the funding for real product development like the digital M and new lenses.

I can't find it listed anywhere in the US. Tamarkin hasn't even heard of it yet. But I did find it listed in Germany for 6000 Euros ($8055 US). On the same German site, the MP/Summicron 50 set sells for 4350 Euros. What other company removes a feature, calls it a Limited Edition collectible & increases the price by 38%?!

Another limited edition aimed at collecting fools. I would not be surprised if by now, more limited edition series are produced than regular camera's.

It seems that there is a limited edition for every occasion.

Let's see, when was it thas Ceasar crossed the Rubicon... time for a commemorative series!

"By taking away the electronic exposure system, its viewfinder is big & clear, so photographers can really enjoy the freedom of taking shots by INTUITION."

With no meter, photographers better shoot intuitively because they now have no choice. Of course, if you want to add a meter, Leica will be happy to provide one . . . for a reasonable cost. LOL

BTW, hadn't Leica heard that the Zeiss Ikon has developed a bigger, clearer viewfinder without removing the meter? . . . and extended the baseline at the same time? is this how Solms responds to competition? Ah, I guess they know who their customer base is.

More stupidity, but I agree with Doug, it didn't take much engineering talent and time to design this one, all they did was remove a few things and raise the price (hey-sounds like good martketing strategy :-)). But I don't understand the statement "By taking away the electronic exposure system, its viewfinder is big and clear,...". Are they really saying the VF is bigger and clearer in this model? If so, what exactly is the difference?

According to a reliable source, this special edition was ordered WITH a meter. Approximately half way through production the error was discovered; by that time it was too late to correct.

The same source tells me a key distributor, because of the mistake, has rejected 200 sets. IMHO, these will be hanging out there and available for quite some time.

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra