Do I need Digital SLR lenses for Nikon D70?

There are a number of Digital SLR lenses (from Nikon and Sigma) which

are specifically made for Digital SLR (with large image sensor).

My question is: do these lenses perform much better than other lenses

(that are made for 35mm cameras)? If yes, how good are they?

I am wondering whether I should go for these digital lenses and stick

to the traditional lenses. Thanks for helping me out

You don't "need" to buy these lenses. But they present an interesting option.

Whether they're the right thing for you is a little harder to answer. They're designed for the

APS-C sized sensors currently used in the Nikon and mid-line Canons (300D, 10D, 20D)

and so would be unable to cover the format with larger sensors like the Canon 1D Mark II

and 1Ds Mark II, or in the 35mm film bodies. In some circumstances, it is possible that

these lenses might perform better than the lenses designed for 35mm film, but it's hard to

discount the fact that both Nikon and Canon produce some top notch lenses which will be

hard to beat.

I think the benefits they offer are primarily a smaller size and weight for the required

coverage, and perhaps a lower price than lenses of similar quality and speed designed to

cover 35mm format. You'll have to decide for yourself whether the tradeoffs are worth it.

Godfrey

Actually, Canon's EF-S lenses don't fit on the 10D. Well, OK, Bob Atkins has hacked a 17

-55 about and got it to fit and work, but that was with the cheapo kit lens; I think it'll be a

long time before someone does this with a 17-85 or 10-22!

At the moment the only Canon DSLRs on which the EF-S lenses fit are the DRebel/300D

and the new 20D.

Tamron manufactures digital lenses with the attribute DI and Sigma calls theirs DG. They are supposed to be optimized for digital sensors to minimize color fringing by using ED and APO elements.

Nikon manufactures DX lenses that provide wide-angle options on a DSLR. They are also specially designed for sensors.

While you don't have to use them, they are certainly an option. For me, traditional 35mm lenses work fine on my D70. I'd need to buy one of those DX zooms if I wanted wide angle.