I recently read an interesting post in the lighting section about

dragging the shutter. Basically it is setting a slower shutter speed

then your sync speed, so you can take into account the ambiant

lighting more in your photos. I like the concept, and decided to

give it a try with my Canon T-70 and 299T. Well, I was unable to get

the shutter speed to remain at the lower set speed. When I set the

camera to TV, and set say 1/30sec, it would automatically jump back

to the 1/90 sec speed with the 299T. This was the case with the

camera in the "A" position, or with another f-stop set.

Additionally, this happened when the flash was on any of the setting

from program on down. Can this be changed, as I like to use this

flash?

To complicate matters, I pulled out my old Vivitar 2800 flash and

powered it up. Well, I was able to set any shutter speed with the

flash up and ready. Since it is a non-Canon flash, the T-70 manual

recomments that I set 1/60sec. I'm assuming that I can get away with

a different speed, as long as it is less the 1/60. Is my thinking

correct here? Is there anything else I need to consider?

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff your problem with the T70 and 299T is one of dedication the flash controls the shutter speed. I have never had a 299T does it have a totally manual setting? if not then your Vivitar is your best option. With a cloth focal plane shutter as in your Canon T70 the fastest shutter speed that will allow the shutter to be wide open during the flash is 1/60th (the 299T has a higher setting due to some of the dedication) SO any shutter speed slower then 1/60th will also have the shutter wide open during the flash duration and will do what you want.

Mark,

The 299T does have two manual settings. One is full manual, and the other is 1/16 manual. When the flash is set to either of these settings, it will still drive the sync speed to 1/90 sec. The other setting is F. Number Set, where you can select eight different f-stops on the lens via the flash, with settings from f 2 to f 22. In this setting the 1/90 sec sync speed is also automatically selected.

For most of my flash photos I usually just use either Program or F. Number Set mode. I probably use the F. Number Set mode the most, as this is the where the flash needs to be for bounce flash. I was hoping to be able to use this one flash for everything, so I don't have to drag two flashes with me when I'm out and about. I also like the auto features of this flash and how it interacts with the camera. I can just put everything in Program, pass the camera to my wife and she can shoot away knowing that all she needs to do is focus and shoot.

I'll have to dig out my old manual for the Vivitar Flash, and see how a few photos turn out.

Thanks again for your help.

Jeff

Some of Canon's dedicated flashes do automatically set the shutter speed to the camera's sync speed and it can be a bear to overcome. Use your Vivitar flash and you can set the shutter speed anywhere you like as long as it is no faster than 1/60.

Hi Jeff

You do not have to carry 2 flashes. All you need is a tiny piece of electricians tape. the T-70 has 4 contact points in the hotshoe. the central large silver dot and the metal lip of the shoe are all you need to fire a flash(just like in the older mechanical cameras). the 2 smaller contacts just below the center contact are what the flash uses to take over the camera. Just use the electricians tape to cover these 2 contacts and then slip in the flash. You can then set any shutter speed and manually set your flash in either F No set mode or full manual mode and it will fire at the set shutter speed(1/60s or less). This is how i get around the problem with the two T-70s and 277t that i use.

Gerard,

Great advice for using the tape and the 299T together. For some reason I was thinking that there was some setting that I was missing on the camera or flash to solve the problem. But, The tape solution sounds like a winner.

Do you like the 277T flash with the T-70? My only complain with the 299T is it's size. I think it weighs as much as the T-70, and it can feel top heavy at times. I sometimes find myself thinking that I should get a 277T for it's smaller size and lighter weight. But, then again I'm just a hacker trying to improve my photos, and additional equipmet really isn't the answer.

Thanks again for the advice, and I'll give it a try tonight.

Jeff

Jeff, sadly the T70 feels top heavy with any decent flash in the hot shoe. I put it down to the fact that the t70 is to short to afford a decent grip for long periods of time. I therefore built my own grip(looks like a battery pack or a power winder that screws into the tripod socket). The grip increases the overall height of the camera body and gives me a firm and comfortable grip on the camera. I have also fabricated my own flash bracket and off camera cord for the 277t which creats a more balanced combination and allows me to use the 277T as a bounce flash. If you like tinkering with your equipment these solutions are fun to implement, but in any case stick with the 299t It is a stronger and more versatile flash.

Gerard,

I'm having a lot of fun tinkering with this camera. Several years ago my plan was to get a new auto-focus system, with all of the bells and whisles. I wrongly figured that this newer equipment would solve all of my problems. I was luck to get some good advice from an Uncle who still uses and enjoys his old Nikon from the 1960's. Good photos come from good photographers. Most of my old bad habits wouldn't be fixed by any new camera, including Digital. So, I decided to stick to my trusty T-70 and I'm trying to really learn how to use it well. This process has really helped me creat better photos.

My plan of attack for the future includes getting an umbrella and using the flash off camera via a slave. I've read a few good posts on this topic, and I need to do more research to figure out what equipment I need to get good results. Does your bracket use a slave for the flash?

I did get back a few photos of the kids next to the Christmas tree, dragging the shutter. I was able to achieve the desired results of the childern properly exposed, with the background lit by the ambient light. I didn't have that cave look, but I need to work a bit more on this before I'm truely happy.

Take care,

Jeff