Older Wetzlar Summilux 50mm f/1.4

terry_rory

The current Cron is sharper, mostly in the corners, until f8-f11 and has higher contrast.

Obviously the Lux is a stop faster.

I have both and use them according to what I am shooting. The Cron can be brutally sharp

for portrait work. The Lux has that Leica glow to it.

feli

I have too recently purchased the same lens, I also have the Summicron, no the latest, the previous. I like the atmosphere of the old Leica lenses,maybe the actual are so sharp, so perfect?, this lens gives for my taste more warm and subtle tones, and on B&W gives in my opinion more richnes of gray tones.

I've never found a bad Leica lens

Best regards

Luis

<i>>>I've never found a bad Leica lens<<</i> <br><br> Luis, obviously you've never shot with a 2,8cm f/6,3 Hektor. OTOH, this is not a "Leica" lens in all rights, but an Ernst Leitz one. FWIW. Also, FWIW, a Summarit (f/1,5, 5cm) cannot by any standard considered a <i>"good"</i> lens unless you're into flare and "glow" --oh, and mushy corners. BTW, I love mine; makes my wife happy.

Trevor, I have the same version as the one you pictured. It has received some upgrading since the original chrome Summilux. The formula has been tweaked and the coatings improved. It is very resistant to flare, and so is the lens of choice, compared to the Summicron, for backlight or other flare-causing situations. However it does not balance quite as ideally on the camera as a Summicron of the same vintage, say the 11817, or the 11819, for that matter. And the latter two are a bit sharper and have a little better contrast.

If a slightly softer rendition is what you want (at wide apertures--by f/11 it won't matter which one you use), and you think you'll be using that f/1.4 aperture very much, then go for it. If you want state of the art resolution and contrast for 11x14's, get a late model Summicron.

I had a chrome one (1.4) but sold it on the street to a guy that had to have it. I looked kind of goofy walking around with just a camera body around my neck. I picked up another one recently, and am happy with it. I won't be selling it unless some stranger walks up with another $1000. BTW, I had and sold a 50 'cron because I prefer the "look" from the 'lux and DR 'cron.

The older style black 'chrome' mount Summilux you have pictured is the same lens formula as the most recent Summilux (non-aspherical) version. Compared to the Summicron functional differences being; Summicron focuses to 70cm - Summilux 1 meter (this is not a 'close-up lens' Summicron advantage), Summicron 39mm filter thread - Summilux older style 43mm harder to find, newer Summicron has built in hood - old Summicron/Summilux have reversible clip on hoods (more effective to protect from stray light and accidents, older Summicron/Summilux advantage).

Because the Summilux lens has been around with the same formula since 1962 many people think it can't be that good - you hear a lot from the Summilux bashers. But there is also a strong following that love this lens; sharp in the center even wide open and well corrected by f4 (very sharp across the field by f8), very resistant to flare, and what I can only describe as a 'beautiful look' - color is something special with this lens, Bokeh (out of focus) is beautifully rendered, shadow detail is exceptional.

The newest Summicron is better 'corrected' by the numbers and IS a great lens, the classic Summilux is just different and the extra stop once you get into using it can really be a help in low light and as a creative tool to isolate subjects. Hay! - if you can't hold your camera steady at f2 1/30sec. (and most people do lose something even at this shutter speed), sometimes f1.4 1/60sec. will be sharper even if the lens charts say it isn't so!

Some people like the Summilux handling vs Summicron - how it fits in the hand and balance. As an all-around lens both are good. Summicron focuses closer and is lighter, very well corrected. Summilux has the extra speed, 100gms extra is not much more but weight can steady the camera, beautiful image (I think of it as an 'art' lens), I like how it handles.

Trevor, I have 3 Summicrons (collapsble, rigid and 1969-type) and late last year bought an e43-filter Lux from the 80's, I couldn't resist the price of $600. I have carried the Summicron ('69) once since then, to the LHSA meeting, because I had 2 M bodies plus a 15, 35 and a 90 and didn't want the added weight of the Summilux. Otherwise I have not used a Cron since getting the Lux. I too shied away fromt the Lux because of its reputation for being less sharp than the Cron. I don't see where that's true, well maybe if I looked at my photos with a microscope or just shot USAF resolution charts then I would see it.

Sartorius states that only 12,000 chrome were made from 1959 through 1968. I "see" a lot of them around. Starting in 1969 the one pictured is the 2nd generation (1844001) with optical changes. The lens body did not undergo any changes (other than the focus ring). Sartorius states that the latest version with the built-in hood is "...an optical design quite similar to the preceeding version, allowed for a minimum focusing distance of 70cm...and distiguishable structural modifications..."

BTW, the 'cron I sold was the 2nd generation lens with no 50 engraved and no finger tab.

Trevor, I'm not sure why people are saying that the Summilux is

less sharp until F8/11, maybe they're going by MTF charts. In real

world use you'd struggle to tell the lenses apart at f2. If you want

an extra stop go for the faster lens, if you want a slightly smaller

lens go for the slower.