Mailing back exposed film rather than carrying through airport?

I know that one should put exposed (or unexposed) film in their

carry-on rather than their check-in. I'm wondering if anyone mails

their film back to themselves or a lab before getting on the plane

to return home from vacation (or other trip)?

Of course, I would use something other than standard US mail.

Something with tracking ability.

I wonder if mail such as UPS or FedEx goes through an xray system

that could potentially harm film.

Thanks...

Keith

I wouldn't bother, the film will be fine with carry on. I worried and worried about this when taking my first over seas trip. All film was in my carry on and I was only going to have my 800 and 1600 film hand checked. On the way back though it didn't work out that way and the 800 and 1600 film got x-rayed a few times. None of it was affected at all and for my next trip I look forward to having this worry off my mind.

Alan

I agree with Alan.

Mailing film home is generally best if you're on a long trip - I'm talking months at a time, especially in hot climates. Although, with Frontier machines popping up all over the place, if you're shooting negs, even a long trip may not be worth mailing film home (obviously, run a test roll thru the Frontier first)

I have worked in FedEx, UPS and DHL distribution centers. So far, these facilities mainly use optical barcode scanners or vision systems to identify packages. In the future they may go to RFID tags for identification, which are also safe for film.

These facilities are concerned with sorting hundreds of thousands of packages to their destinations as quickly as possible.

Unless you declare the contents as hazardous, fragile, etc they will not give the package any special treatment and certainly won't waste their time looking at the contents of your package. The only exception I can think of could be an international shipment, for security reasons, may go through visual or hand inspection.

I have never seen an X-ray scanning system in one of these facilities.

Since I use a mail-order lab anyway, my practice had long been to send film during my trip, mailing it from the nearest post office each time I had a batch of four or five rolls. Besides reducing airport worries, it reduced worries about carrying the exposed film, and also assured that processing of each batch would be on a different day in case the lab had an off day. The other advantage was that the first batches could be waiting for me when I got home.

I now avoid airport hassles by avoiding flying, and I send film I take on my solo driving trips by FedEx when I get home. Four years ago, after a trip to France (I "batched" the film and mailed it when I got home) one of the batches took several weeks to reach the lab. That caused me unnecessary anxiety. Subsequent orders that year had similar delays. So from then on, I sent everything FedEx and slept easier bacause of the tracking accountability it provides. Unfortunately, the expense of FedEx makes using the mail-order lab practical only when I have a large enough batch of film to justify the cost. If I expose only one or two rolls, I have a local mini-lab process the negatives and make low-resolution batch scans from them to select the ones I'm interested in.

There probably is minimal risk from carry-on airport x-rays. But if you're the worrying type and are traveling to a major city, you could always FedEx all your film from there to your lab (or to home) just before your departing flight. Or do some research to find a reliable lab at your destination and have your film processed there. X-rays don't harm processed film, and you can see your pictures then and there. Of course, the best way to avoid the numerous hassles of air travel is to choose a destination that doesn't require flying.

<P>I recently sent some unprocessed NPH and NPS film via FedEx.

<P>Their CS rep assured me that they do not x-ray packages.

<P>If you drop the package off and tell the clerk that it's film, he/she will put a big

yellow sticker on the box alerting that it's sensitive material.

<P>While the quick x-ray scan may not be overly harmful, I note that some screeners

stop the conveyor on my camera bag for extended periods of time and then want to

take it all apart anyway, including opening each (clear plastic) cannister to make sure

it's really film...

Kevin wrote: I recently sent some unprocessed NPH and NPS film via FedEx. Their CS rep assured me that they do not x-ray packages.

I'm sure he did. He is, however, mistaken. I checked with their VP for security, and he said of course we reserve the right to x-ray anything.

the sticker is an excellent idea though.