D2X

bill_harris1

I wiah I had the money to buy one...But in reality how many of us can

justify buying one when a D70 or D100 would serve our purposes...Is

it a ego trip? I can see how professionals would use one. But how

many professionals do we have on this forum that can justify this

expense and have a real need for one?

An amateur with enough money can do whatever he/she wants with that money -- that includes being in a perpetual upgrade mode.

I guess It is easier for us, the amateurs, to spend money on the latest photo gear since we don't have to worry (like a pro would) about return on investment.

Have money, will buy.

"An amateur with enough money can do whatever he/she wants with that money -- that includes being in a perpetual upgrade mode."

Get a wife, man (you were supposed to get married by now, no?). If she is not in photography, you are in trouble. You'll find most of your comments to be invalid!

I've almost got a justification to buy the D2X!

I currently use FM3a FM2n and FE bodies with motor drives and AI or AIS lenses.

The key to my 'excuse' is the AIS and AI glass. I can use these with the D2x (I know they won't autofocus - D2X is not quite that magical) which means I can have all the useful features of my FM3a and not have to re-invest massive amounts of money in new lenses. I'd kinda use the D2X as a digital FM3a.

One small problem though: The current D2H has a UK price of ?2799.99GBP so the D2X when it becomes available in the UK in January 2005 will most likely be at least ?4000.00 (New cars in the UK start at ?4695.00!) meaning I need to save every penny on glass I can!!

I have a wife!

Joe

It's funny sometimes how amateur, or non-professional, photographers try and delegate themselves and each other to second class status when it comes to the work they do and the tools they use. Some seem to think that not being a pro means they ought not be using the top of the line equipment. I've always felt you should get the very best you can afford that meets your needs and is what you want. For me the 10D has been the perfect step into digital. It was in a price range I was both willing and able to afford. So far it has been up to every task I have asked of it and I enjoy using it. The tool doesn't get in the way of the work. Still, when I used film all the time, The F4s, the N90s and the F5 were the minimum. I was willing to pay the cost and the cameras delivered. If I went to an 8008 or some other body in the series, the camera got in the way of what I was doing. It was too slow, AF was flaky, I just didn't like using them. If you want to spend the money, if you can afford it, buy the very best equipment you can. Everyone keeps saying it is the photographer and not the camera. Maybe, but the camera sure can get in the way.

Rick H.

I'm just average, common too<br>

I'm just like him, the same as you<br>

I'm everybody's brother and son<br>

I ain't different from anyone<br>

It ain't no use a-talking to me<br>

It's just the same as talking to you.<br>

<br>

Bob Dylan, I SHALL BE FREE NO. 10<br>

<br>

---<br>

<br>

Id tell you why I would only be willing to pay $XXX.XX for

a D70 but my reply would be derided as "banal, bourgeois

bashing." Id like to own a little capital. Frankly D70

owners are more drearily commonplace than those who will defend a

differing opinion. Some bought the D70 in frustration and now

clearly long for the D2X but the consensus still loves the D70

and disdains those who save and sacrifices for a <strike>better</strike>

different camera. Those who dont know the difference should

buy the D70 and those with discretion should buy the D2X. Is that

dripping with sarcasm? So be it.<br>

<br>

When in Rome do as the Romans do,<br>

<br>

Dave Hartman.

<I>"Some bought the D70 in frustration and now clearly long for the D2X but the consensus still loves the D70 and disdains those who save and sacrifices for a better different camera. "</I> -- DHH

<P>

I agree this may be true for some. But I still believe that with the lighter, easier to carry D70, I can make images that <U>would look just as good as those I would have made with a D2x</U>. The only things in D2x that appeal to me is a better viewfinder and ability to meter with non-CPU lenses.

<P>

I recall going for the FM3A cameras even when I could easily afford an F5. <U>It's less about what tools you use and more about how you use them</U>.

<P>

Slightly OT: Have any of you seen the Minolta Maxxum 7D samples. I have enlarged one (the portrait) to 200% (to 6016 x 4000) using s-spline pro and had it printed 13"x19" at a frontier machine and it looks gorgeous. That from a 6 megapixel camera. I'm sure similar results are possible using the D70 using the right lens and technique.

<P>

Would you expect an average viewer, standing 5 feet away, to jump on that print with a loupe if he/she were told that it was taken using a 12 MP D2x?

"<i>I still believe that with the lighter, easier to carry D70, I can make images that would look just as good as those I would have made with a D2x.</i>" - Arnab Pratim Das<P>Maybe for some things, but not for everything. If you're ever shooting sports, I'd say that your statement is pretty off. Otherwise, maybe its accurate. Its all about the glass! :D

Dave,

I did not buy my D70 in frustration at all. This camera is far better than what I expected in terms of results. For one of my specific application D70 is better suited than D100.

Why a D2X? Full meter compatibility, better features, resolution, etc..

And thanks for typing down Bob Dylan's song. Never could make out any word he presumably "sings".

Vivek.

I bought the D70 as a temporary camera because I knew I wouldn't want to use such a viewfinder and AF system forever. However, I did not want to be without the quality advantages of digital (white balance, noise-free). I have shot a lot of pics with mine, and the results are highly satisfactory when the subject is static (as in a landscape). However, I am unable to get consistent results on moving subjects or subjects which require a narrow depth of field. In fact, the odds for a correctly focused pic are ridiculously low in such cases (at least when I'm doing the shooting). That is why I will get the D2X although most of its features I don't need. I never shoot in continuous drive mode, etc. However, I'm hoping that its 12 MP will prevent me from buying a medium or large format camera for landscape photography.

It will save me thousands of hours in Photoshop time, in addition to reduced film and processing costs, so actually it's an economic decision as well as a technical one. I could give up mine in two years for a new model and consider that it's paid for itself although I'm an amateur. Provided that it stops me from using film, which is not yet certain.