Does a bride or groom really need 200 or more photos?

hector_obregon

Perhaps the difference in shooting styles is due to a difference in ... well, uh, shooting

styles?

Also, I know I shoot differently when primarily using certain film cameras like I did with

tonight's wedding. I used the Leica M, and it has always gobbled less film than say my EOS

1V. Maybe it's because I can see outside the frame lines in the viewfinder, and it promotes

more anticipatory shooting as opposed to reactionary shooting. I used a Hasselblad

503CW for all the church stuff, and that sucker just ain't fast. So I planned out the shots

more than I usually do with the Canon 1Ds ... which is lightening fast.

Different strokes (literally) for different folks.

• 4 weeks later...

I am an amateur photographer who loves to take photos and was recently a bride. The photographer gave me 200+ photos of the ceremony and reception, but I am disappointed and feel many events and people were missed. I don't think anyone else wants to look at more than 200 photos, but I do. (I intend to put only a limited number in my album to show to other people.) I agree that the bride wants a picture of everyone and everything that moves. For instance, the photographer chose not to take photos of my bridesmaids coming down the aisle, a shot I would consider standard. He also did not take any photos of them during the ceremony. These are my best friends that I asked to be a part of my special day. He said he didn't take them because people don't order those shots! (I am upset that he was thinking more about his pockets than covering the event the way I wanted it covered. He was also shooting digital, so it would have been easy) You need to take a lot of photos because as the photographer you cannot tell what's important to the bride and groom and their family and friends. In the hubbub of the day, they might also not think to tell you every shot that they want. I also might add that the photographer relied fairly heavily on assistants, which made a lot of mistakes, including missing a shot of the best man giving the toast.

Kirsten