Can anyone explain how the soft yet directional lighting effect in

<A href='http://bowens.co.uk/gallery/miodrag/eos10D'>this</A>

photograph was achieved? I think its two lights with grids from

behind the camera and in front/left of the camera. When I try to

duplicate the effect myself however, I end up with a hot strip

lengthwise along the barrel of the lens. How is the soft effect

achieved?

Regards...

a large softbox behind and to (the photographer's p.o.v.) right of thje subject,. the lighton

the front ofthe camera is coming from the left and is either also coming from a large

softbox or a light aimed into a large silver flat. By large in either case I mean probably at

leat 48" x 48". the lights may also be at some distance from the camera being

photographed to even out the light fall off. from the end of the camera closest to the light

and further away from the light. I would not be surprised if other white and black cards are

used as "gobos" to shape the light . Simple still life set ups sometimes take up a lot more

space and work than they appear to need.

Thanks for the answers above. I've tried it with a softbox (albeit quite small 60cm sq) and a reflector. My attempt looks much better. Looking at the reflection of the softbox in the barrel of the lens however, I think the softbox needs to be much much larger. Also, looking at the cutoff on the top of the pentaprism, just above the logo. Is that achieved via a black gobo above the camera?

Regards...

Somebody may already have mentioned this but don't overlook the probability - not possibility - that digital retouching was used as well. Sure, you have to start out with good quality lighting. But once the session is done and a minor imperfection is noted it doesn't make sense to reshoot when a little touchup can remove an unwanted hint of glare, odd shadow or overlooked dust mote.