ANTELOPE CANYON in winter

victor_zhou

I plan to Antelop canyon in end of December. Has anyone been there

before around this period? Since I have never been there, I have

some questions. It is said that the permit to enter the canyon are

limited each day. So how early shall I arrive there to guarantee a

permit? I saw a lot of magic photos of the canyon, do you know what

is the time to take those photos? Thanks in advance.

Victor

Victor,

I haven't been there in December, but I photographed both the upper & lower canyons in early October 2003 and just the lower canyon in late October 2004. And I will tell you that there was a big difference in the quality of light. Obviously, the closer to the summer solstice you are, you'll have better photographic opportunities in both the upper and lower canyons due to the sun arching higher in the sky.

One of the Navaho's told me that around the summer solstice, you will get 14 shafts of light (not at the same time of course) in the upper canyon. When I was in the upper canyon in early October of 2003, I got one (and I was there for about 3 hours in the middle of the day). That's why I didn't even bother this past trip, I knew that the sun would simply be too low.

On the other hand, I'd recommend trying to get a permit for North Coyote Buttes. Who knows? Maybe you'll be lucky with some snow on the ground. Remember that there are 10 walk-in permits that they hand out for the next day.

Victor,

When the Paria ranger station opens, if there are 10 or fewer people, everyone gets a pass, and passes are handed out during the day until all 10 are gone. If there are more than 10, then they do a lottery. I doubt at that time of the year you will have much of a problem getting one.

Kosta