"Hasselblad ... to discontinue 501CM,555ELD,905SWC"

donald_ingram1

Dear David,<br><br>Whether you wish it to be about personalities or not, the fact is that you did not get (neither passive nor active) the facts.<br><br>The facts are readily available.<br>You know, the Powers That Be in the Scandinavian Head Offices are just people like we. They don't kill you when you ask them a question. So why didn't you? It's not as if the possibility wasn't suggested to you before, is it? Personality getting in the way? What?<br><br>Now you are miffed because your faith in UK photo rag reporting was betrayed. I can understand that. And i feel for you.<br>And to be fair, the Hasselblad UK MD was to blame first. But the magazine, like you, failed to verify. How very journalistically correct...!<br><br>But just get this idea out of your head that it is about <b><i>who</i></b> is right. Just open your mind, and see <b><i>what</i></b> is right.<br>

Well, I've been waiting since 1968 for the SWC's price to drop down to a reasonable level. I wonder if this trend means that the day is coming sooner, or later. As soon as eBay prices drop just a couple hundred more, below $1k, I'm in.

Re the 905WC; I doubt prices will rise for the new models; there are enough 903s around

on the used market to attract buyers who will be happy enough with that alternative, it

being in many ways equal if not better than the 905 (comparisons of old vs new glass

formulas and old vs new spring material notwithstanding). 903s are still selling at half the

price of the new 905. Uniqueness of the 905 aside, the fact that the manufacturer is no

longer making them will cause even the most committed MF used to give a second

thought to purchasing such an expensive specialty camera.

903 was made for more than 10 years at a time when MF cameras were still being bought in reasonable quantities new. 905 has been made only for 2-3 years, and at a time when the demand must have been very slow. If they really discontinue it, even within the next few years, only a small number have been produced and it might turn out to be a very valuable collectors item in 30-50 years time. And in the meantime it is a great photographic tool. What more can one ask?

The Biogon has been on sale for 50 years now. There are plenty of them available used.<br>And it really doesn't matter if it says SWC, SWC/M, 903 or 905 on them: differences are minimal. Even the 1950s SW and SWA are just as good as the latest version (but of course old, i.e. worn by long use).<br>So i doubt the 905, because of its short (until now: you have heard the man who really knows say that it's not going away soon) period of availability, will be regarded as a "collector's item".<br>Except by those who insist on having one of everything that has the name Hasselblad or Zeiss on it. ;-)

• 3 months later...

Due to the 905swc being discontinued and 903's being very hard to get in good condition.

This along with prices going up on used 903's and the new price on 905's dropping, I have just bought 1 of the last remaining 905's in Sweden.

It would seem that AP had it right all along.