Can't use Polaroid 545 on Arca Swiss in vertical position

jim_simmons

Ellis, I hope you're reading this! After a couple of polaroids shot

in the vertical position on my A-S F Metric came out flashed over

most of the surface, I took a closer look. The little catch that

holds the big end in place just touches the top of the standard,

pushing the 545 away from its proper position enough to leave a

light gap. Grrr... Do the 545i or 545 Pro also have this problem?

Exposures in horizontal position are fine. I suppose I could always

test exposure in horizontal position, but I'd also like to look at

the exposure in the top and bottom of the frame also.

When I bought a Zone VI field camera, when they first came out, I was surprised that my 545 holder didn't fit because Zone VI said that the camera accepted the 545 holder. It turns out that there are two versions of the older metal 545 holder -- the oldest version has a large catch which Zone VI hadn't realized interfers with the back of the camera. This was before the 545i/545Pro were introduced. My solution was to mill a small recess in the back of the camera. I just checked with my 545i holder, and the recess is unnecessary for that holder. Probably the 545i and 545Pro will work with your camera. Supposing that you have the oldest version of the metal 545, the newer version of the 545 might work also.

Armin, precisely which 545 version do you have?

TWO versions of the 545? Oh brother. Well, I wouldn't doubt that my $27 ebay special is the most ancient of versions, but it sure works well otherwise. I think I'll write Jeff at Badger Graphics, where I bought the A-S and see what he can tell me. But if anyone else has any advice, I'm all ears. It does seem to me, Armin, that the standards on the F Classic and the F Metric would be essentially identical in that top area where the 545 is hitting it. I guess the worst thing that could happen is I have to get a used 545i. I wouldn't mind the weight loss. The 545 is one heavy beast.

I saw a 545i at my local camera shop today. It doesn't have the latch; the cover simply has a snap fit (plastic instead of metal). So that holder would definitely work. And then I did some ebay snooping, and saw some 545 models with the latch and some without the latch, which must be the newer model. So I guess I'll sell my old one and buy a "new" used one. I'm not one to treat my cameras as minor deities, but I really don't want to start carving hunks out of my beautiful A-S.