Billingham in Canada

mark_ng

I recently bought an L2 "Alice" from Robert White Ltd in the UK,

<a href="http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/" target=new>

http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/</a>. They were very prompt and great to do business

with. The color I wanted wasn't in stock when I placed the order, but it was delivered to my

door in California within 7 days anyway.

<br><br>

I couldn't find a price in the US that could match them, even counting the shipping and

tax, and nobody had the black/black with nickel plate hardware here. All told, it cost me

US$152. US prices on the Combo M and L2 Alice are around $170-200, not including sales

tax and shipping charges.

<br><br>

When I compared the two bags at the local store here, I found the Alice to be a nicer fit for

my use. It's roomier front to back, I like the weather gusseting and interior organization

more. The Combo M bag's opening is narrower and its separate zippered front pocket

doesn't offer as much flexibility as I was looking for.

<br><br>

Godfrey

Mark

I remember that Billingham was carried by the Leica agent, which at that time was Kindermann. They have changed and it was another outfit, but I think Kindermann is again the Leica agent, so give them a call.

Two minutes later. They are indeed the distributors in Canada and can advise local dealers. There website lists Billingham.

http://www.kindermann.ca

Cheers

I picked up a used but can't-tell-it-from-new Alice for $99 and a likewise Eventer (kind of a tall, narrow bag with a zipper)for $149, both in black with tan leather trim, off B&H's website. Maybe they were display demos, I don't know. I would never have paid even Robert White prices for them, they're beautiful and beautifully made but after all they're just camera bags.

I kind of agree, Ben, but I found the Alice to be just about perfect for daily schlepping

about and bought it more as a luxury gift to myself. I have other bags that cover the same

need, but a nicely put together bag of canvas and leather that is just a pleasure to use.

A Domke F5x does very nearly as well at 1/3 the price, of course, and a Tamrac SuperLight

2 or SuperLight 5 for even less. So much for cents and sensibility. ;-)

Godfrey

Mark,

Lens & Shutter in Vancouver carries the Billingham line... you can call them at

The last time I was in there...they had quite a few different versions in stock.

The Camera Store, in Calgary, can also access them for you... and no PST!

Good luck...

Cheers

"Does it really reliably carry 1 body and 3 lenses and a light meter? Anything else?"

I easily carry all that plus a fourth lens (I use those double rear caps), a little flash (like the size of an SF20), a shoe-type viewfinder in its leather case, a set of spare batteries, lens cloth, a couple filters and 8 rolls of film (in the plastic cans but out of the paper boxes). The bodies can have the bottoms of Leica everready cases attached. In transit I don't have a lens attached to the bodies but while I'm shooting I can stick one back in the bag face down with no problem. The Alice/A2 is surprisingly roomy. Putting all that stuff in it makes a pretty heavy little package and even with the wide strap pad it bears down uncomfortably on my shoulder. That's another reason I prefer another bag, in my case it's a Lowepro Reporter 100AW, which is about the same size as the Alice but has metal rings where the stap goes, so I could follow the advice I got from a former forumer and use an Optech SOS strap instead of the one that came with the bag. It really is a great invention. Plus the Lowepro has a place in back to thread an army surplus canvas belt which keeps the bag from swinging around.

Mark,

Be very careful with prices. Kindermann's quoted prices seemed awfully high to me.

Robert White and B&H look like good options. As mentioned above, mail order from anywhere outside your province will mean no PST. If you live in Alberta, no PST in anycase ...

Although I do own a Hadley pro, most of the time I use a LowePro Omni Sport which carries two bodies with lenses mounted, with space for two more lenses and a small flash. For discrete shooting, the LowePro Utility case is perfect for one body with the 35 mounted and room for the 50 as well.

I use the Hadley Pro when I go out shooting with the 135 Elmarit on one body and either a 90, 50 or even 35 on the other ...