Sinar and Zeiss, Hello...

victor4

Just wondering if anybody cares? 4 new auto focus MF lenses from

Zeiss and not a single comment. Has anyone else even heard of the

Sinar M. It's a pretty cool looking camera. Even Sinars own site

doesn't mention the new upcoming lenses. Oh well...

vic... :)

Never even noticed the 'Nikon' in the lens. Or Muller either for that matter. What I did notice is the press release wherein among other things it was stated that ..."Delivery is scheduled to begin in early 2005."

I guess the reason I brought this up is that in January of this year Kornelius J. Fleischer stated that "At Zeiss, we currently work on an extremely impressive new lens for the Hasselblad 6 x 6 system. It will take us a while, so I do not promise it for this year's photokina."

Thought perhaps the Sinar lense could shed some light on the subject, what with the alleged autofocus and all. Just hoping I guess.

vic... :)

After all the suspense, games, ha and hoopla, the "announcements" from Zeiss were disappointing to say the least.

A 35mm rangefinder and lenses made by Cosina? So what's new there? A partnership with Sinar? Who cares - I suppose you could already mount the excellent Nikkors on the Sinar. Sport optics - binoculars? Again, who cares?

What was so new and exciting that we had to wait breathlessly for, and that we could "never guess"?

For all the noise, one would have expected a series of fast MF lenses for Hassy/Contax/Rollei/Alpa or maybe a new coating or something that had some technical merit.

Yes, that is what is missing here. Technical merit. Welcome to the drain, Zeiss.

I agree with Vijay. The advertisment gimmick is cool, but what's been offered so far is clearly disappointing. Did you guys see the 4/600mm APO on the poster though? Not clear for which camera system it is. I guess we are all expecting some new glass, something exciting. It's funny, Zeiss gets by with the same old stuff forever. I can't believed that they aren't ashamed of their Cosina polishing job. The Sinar looks like a sound concept though. Let's see where it goes.

For decades I have been impressed with Rollei and their enormous creativity and innovativeness. It's too bad that they killed it themselves with their arrogant attitude toward their customers. It's really disappointing that their 6008AF hasn't received more acclaim or higher recognition. Their entire 6008 concept feels even today like a glimpse of the future. Hope they continue. They could be market leaders, if they'd change their attitude.

Schneider used to be less innovative until 30 years ago, but they have really shaped up, at least IMHO. I really think they are cool, and they have my respect. I just really love their medium format line for the 6008, and their large format portfolio is just stellar.

I guess Rodenstock keeps a lower profile, but their lenses are really neat and their quality control is second to none. And they don't make a big deal out of nothing.

The other group from that spot on the planet that really impressed me is the ALPA. They are really so innovative and have a great sense for quality. They are expensive, very expensive, but considering their commitment to quality not overly so.

Anyway, just mumbling, some thoughts about where the Europeans are going.

What is impressive about Zeiss is its Marketing engine! Some companies get it right -- unlike Rollei-- and I suppose Zeiss is trying to do their best in this tough market -- not necessarily technically of course!

Example: To me the issue about Lens coating is a mute point today. But what amazes me is the kind of sparkle people have in their eyes discussing T* coatings etc. The Zeiss lens coating is actually in people's eye-balls/psyche and not so much on their lenses ;-) Now that is a nice case-study for Business schools.

To Q.G : AFAIK, Kornelius changed his last name after marriage.