No D200?

Sanford

Nikon is a relatively small compnay. They don't have the R&D capacity to develop many new cameras simultaneously. Obviously they were working on the D2X and F6. Prior to those, the D70 was announced in early 2004 and the D2H in mid 2003.

Nikon will likely have something to compete against the new Canon 20D: a consumer-grade 8MP DSLR, possibly with a consumer-version of the 11 AF point Multi-CAM 2000; IMO the Multi-CAM 900 is simply too old now. However, the new camera's AF will be clearly inferior to the D2H/D2X so that it won't seriously cut into their pro sales. We probably won't see this new announcement until at least early 2005.

It would be nice to see a 'digital F100' with comparable AF to the pro bodies, a decent finder (with no pop-up flash to compromise it), something like F100 build quality, and a pixel count to match the 20D. This would probably sell well at around the F5 price level, but might kill too many sales of the D2 series for Nikon's comfort. Maybe in a year or two...

I think a great solution to many of these debates would be to come out with worthy digital backs that have a upgradable port for megapixel counts and buffers. That way, great bodies like the F100, F5 and some of the older pro bodies can benifit from them. I would love to see a 8MP or 16MP digital back for the F5! That to me would be the almost perfect camera.