How to format prints to be matted and framed ?

Hi ! <br>

I have some digital images that I'm going to have printed at 10x15

inches on the Noritsu at my local lab.<br>

As I know very little about matting and framing, the first question

is should I leave a border ( like 1/4" ) when I size the image so the

matte fits on top of the paper ? Or no border, or a larger one ?<br>

Second question is that in the print menu for PS CS I don't see a

paper size of 10x15 so is there a way to add that size to the menu ?

<br>

Thanks !

"I have some digital images that I'm going to have printed at 10x15 inches on the Noritsu at my local lab."

Why 10x15? Is that the largest they make at your local lab, or did you already decide this was the matte size?

"As I know very little about matting and framing, the first question is should I leave a border ( like 1/4" ) when I size the image so the matte fits on top of the paper ? Or no border, or a larger one ?"

First you have to ask yourself a few questions. Are you cutting a custom matte? Do you want the image set inside the matte (with white paper showing inside the matte) or do you want the matte to completely cover the image?

If you want the image set inside the matte, I'd leave between 1/4" & 1/2" on all four sides exposed, then another 1/8" minimum hidden underneath the matte. That means 15" - 2 * (1/4" + 1/8") = 14-1/4" would be your largest image dimension set inside the 15" canvas. Or 15" - 2 * (1/2" + 1/8") = 13-3/4" if you want the 1/2" white border. Either way, you'd want the long dimension of the matte to be 14-3/4".

For the large image, you'd go to Image -> Image Size, TURN OFF "Resample Image", then set dimensions to 9-1/4" x 14-1/4". Then you'd do Image -> Canvas size to 10" x 15" (not relative), with white for the selected color. No need to change the pixel counts in your image; the lab should handle that for you. It's a whole 'nuther tutorial to get into printer resolution & color profiles.

Now, if you want the image completely covered by the matte, just leave it at 10"x15" but understand you'll lose 1/8" all around if you cut a 9-2/4" x 14-3/4" matte opening.

If you're not cutting a matte yourself, you've got to crop & resize your image to the standard matte sizes / opening sizes. Make the same calculations to figure the image size.

"Second question is that in the print menu for PS CS I don't see a paper size of 10x15 so is there a way to add that size to the menu ?"

You're not printing, the lab is. This is irrelevant.

<i>Why 10x15? Is that the largest they make at your local lab, or did you already decide this was the matte size?</i><br>

10x15 is the largest I'm willing to go with the file sizes I have...they can print 12x18 max.<br>

I'm thinking that I'd like the image to reach the matte, and from what you're saying it sounds like all I need is an 1/8th" for the matte to overlap the print...<br>

So I want the image to be 9-3/4 x 14-3/4...not a problem !

<br>

Someone, not me, will custom cut the mattes and make the frames...but I'm curious if there are standard sizes that are 3x2 ratio around that size ?<br>

Thanks Mr. Zapped !

No Stephen, 3:2 is not a standard matte size. I cut my own with an inexpensive Logan matte cutter (preset to a 45degree bevel), then use a larger frame size that looks decent. I do try to use standard frame sizes, though, because it's substantially cheaper than custom framing. Since you'll always have an asymmetric placement, try to leave the "extra" mat area at the bottom, and prefer standard frame sizes where the excess height is greater than the excess width.

For example, let's say you have a 10x15 (approximate) opening and it's portrait-oriented: 10" wide, 15" high. You're considering either a 16x20 or 18x24 frame. With the 16x20, you have 3" excess horizontally but 5" vertically. It would look odd to have 3" borders on the bottom, left, and right, and only 2.5" on top. Same if you tried to leave the 2.5" on the bottom.

With an 18x24, though, you have 8" extra width and 9" extra height. So you could have 4" on the top, left, and right, and the larger excess amount (5") on the bottom. Much better balanced.

Sketch the combinations & this will be a little more obvious.

Glad to help, Stephen. If you want an inexpensive cutter that does a fine job, try the one I use ---

http://www.logangraphic.com/products/kits/matcutting.shtml

This gives you the Logan 524 Ruler (guide), Logan 302 cutter (head), Logan 500 mat knife, and some other do-dads for a lower price than buying the 524 + 302 + 500 separately. In the US, I used the standard 40%-off single-item coupon from Michael's Crafts to really save a bundle.

Have fun,