PB-E2 motor drive: a waste of time?

r._j.

I was reading through the specifications of the EOS-3 body and the PB-

E2 motor drive, which is an optional extra.

The top speed of the EOS-3 body (alone) is 4.3 frames per seconds.

With the PB-E2 it becomes 7 fps - but only in limited circumstances.

It is only 3 fps in AI Servo AF mode with the PB-E2, and 3 fps again

in L (low speed) film advance, with the PB-E2.

That's nothing special!

Admittedly you can switch to H (high speed) film advance, but even

then you are only getting 6 fps in one short AF and 5 fps in AI servo

AF. That's barely more than you get on the basic (4.3 fps) body alone.

How many EOS-3 users purchase the PB-E2 for reasons other than a

faster film advance?

I should point out to all readers that I was referring to the PB-E2 without the NP-E2 rechargeable battery pack. If you intend using the PB-E2 and getting the best results from it, the NP-E2 seems almost obligatory, otherwise the opverall improvements made by the PB-E2 are seemingly minimal.

I had one for my EOS 1v.. I never went into high speed stuff..

1) I could using normal battery rather than expensive CR5 batteries. Its much easier to find the AA bateries than CR5 when you are travelling to remote villages in India.

2) it had all the controls which I could use when I flip the camera to horizontal mode. Its much easier to use with all the controls available on the PB-E2.

3) My 1V with the grip (also called 1VHS) handled a lot better when using long telephoto lenses..

4) I could always go to HS using NP-E2 when I need to go up the speed for sports actions..

So, Anoop, you were using the PB-E2 for reasons other than film advance speed, which is what my original post was about, correct?

You were using the PB-E2 because it availed you of a second shutter release and the use of easily-found AA batteries?

Those are fair enough reasons, mind you, it's just that the extra film advance capabilities provided by the PB-E2 seem pretty weak, which was my original point.

If you only want the PB-E2 for its extra buttons/controls, that's fine, I guess.

Thanks for your comments!

The PB-E2 came out with the EOS-3 but it is made to a higher physical specification (magnesium not polycarbonate) and apart from the absence of a duplicate Assist button it is probably better understood as an EOS-1v accessory that can also be used on the EOS-3. Certainly the gain in film advance speeds makes more sense on the -1v. There are several other reasons for using it on either camera - vertical grip, battery capacity, battery availability - set against the added weight and bulk. I use mine (on a -1v) only when I am photographing wildlife, mostly with the 100~400 lens.

There are several advantages in having the PB-E2 with the EOS-3 and even greater benefits in conjunction with the EOS-1v, which actually has a slower maximum continuous film advance than the EOS-3 (3.5 fps rather than 4.5).

First of all, unless you have very small hands, the addition of the PB-E2 provides a more substantial and comfortable grip, especially in conjunction with employment of the larger L lenses. In addition, it provides a set of vertical controls which of course you do not otherwise have.

Secondly, the camera body has two motors; the first powers film advance and the second various mechanisms in addition to rewinding the film. When the PB-E2 is attached, its motor (operating at 12 volts rather than 6) takes over the functions of the camera's second motor, cocking the shutter and mirror. This enables the film advance and other functions to happen simultaneously, speeding up operation of even single frame shooting. You can tell this is happening by the shortened sound of the camera when making an exposure.

Finally, it provides a more substantial and reliable power source for the camera. Energizer 1.5 volt lithium AA batteries work extremely well and last a long time in the PB-E2 and are much lighter in weight than alkalines.

The extra high speed operation is only available with the optional NiMH rechargeable battery pack which offers up to 10 fps with the EOS-1v. This sealed battery pack contains 10 1.2 volt NiMH cells. It is unfortunate that Canon does not offer a special battery tray that holds 10 rather than 8 AA batteries because then one could use the higher capacity NiMH rechargeable cells and inexpensive chargers readily available instead of purchasing Canon's expensive charger.

"The top speed of the EOS-3 body (alone) is 4.3 frames per seconds. With the PB-E2 it becomes 7 fps - but only in limited circumstances.

It is only 3 fps in AI Servo AF mode with the PB-E2, and 3 fps again in L (low speed) film advance, with the PB-E2."

Your info is incomplete. The EOS 3/PB-E2 spits out 7 fps in both one-shot and AI servo set to High Speed with the Ni-MH pack. With standard AAs it slows to 6/5 fps in high speed mode in one-shot and AI servo respectively.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

That's what I said in my second post, mentioning the use of a PB-E2 on the EOS-3 without the NP-E2. You have repeated what I said: the 7 fps only applies in certain circumstances - namely with the NP-E2. Without it, using normal batteries, you don't get much extra bang for your buck, motordrive-wise. EOS-1v users may tell a different story.

You are right that PB-E2 with AAs is nothing very special speed-wise, but your info *was* partially incomplete or misleading:

- "The top speed of the EOS-3 body (alone) is 4.3 frames per seconds."

True, that's the top speed, only in single shot AF (or MF I suppose).

"With the PB-E2 it becomes 7 fps - but only in limited circumstances."

True, that is the top speed as well.

"It is only 3 fps in AI Servo AF mode with the PB-E2,"

Misleading because that is true only if set to low speed. It is 5 fps in high speed setting with AAs and AI servo AF.

"and 3 fps again in L (low speed) film advance, with the PB-E2. "

True, but that's Low speed. Isn't it great you can choose between L and H!

"Admittedly you can switch to H (high speed) film advance, but even then you are only getting 6 fps in one short AF and 5 fps in AI servo AF."

Fine you admitted that. But who would use the camera speed "Low" setting if highest speed is preferred?

"That's barely more than you get on the basic (4.3 fps) body alone."

With AAs it is 6 vs. 4.3fps (+40%) in sigle-shot and 5 vs. 3.3fps (+50%) in AI-servo.

That's according to specs, I haven't measured it myself.

So, PB-E2 AF single/servo is: 6/5 in "H" setting and 3/3 in "L" setting. With NiMH pack it is 7/7 and 3/3. The bare camera is always 4.3/3.3 (until the battery is almost empty when it drops significantly).

Vesa

Actually, when using larger lenses I prefer NOT to attach a booster or battery pack to my

camera. I avoid the giant lens erection sticking out of my hip, as the lens lays flat along

my left side instead of sticking out and banging everything. I feel I have a more stable

shooting platform as well, as I can lay the lens along the inside of my left forearm and

control focus (and zoom if I am using a zoom lens) with my hand. With a booster, I am

laying about a two or three inch wide platform on the arm, and cranking my wrist upwards

to touch the focus ring. Without, I can lay the entire camera and lens combination along

my arm.

Try it before buying it: after reading many comments about its comfort, I purchased the grip. (And, very stupidly, didn't unpack or use it for over a month.) When I did use it, I found that it made the camera less comfortable and, indeed, very awkward to use. (And I have large and strong hands.) Fortunately, the dealer (Adorama) was willing to accept a late return. Grips, like camera bags, have to be seen, touched, felt, and used before they're purchased.

I got my PB-E2 for use with my EOS-3 for many reasons. I shoot in portrait format much of the time and the vertical shutter button is really useful. I used to shoot birds, and the 7fps was often used. Also, the noise level is reduced with the PB-E2. With the EOS-3 alone the noise of the shutter firing is a long and irritating *clack clatter whiiiiiiiiine*, with the PB-E2, it is a much shorter *clack*. In fact, this was the main reason I got a PB-E2. I simply couldn't stand the irritating whine of a naked EOS-3.

I would often travel without the PB-E2 to save space and weight. At one point the noise became so irritating (specially when photographing at a quiet place) that I got an EOS-30, which I now use as my main camera.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

I just got one used for less than I paid for the battery pack on my Rebel 2000 ....

They look kinda the same but One cost a 3rd. of the other new and the BP just gives

the option to use aa 's in the Rebel 2000 ...

6 0r 7 fps .... lol.... I don't think that will matter to me .

Hummmmmmm roll of 36 exp. 6 fps..... six seconds to shoot a roll.... lol...

fast enough for my EOS 3 (s)

Dan