flash keeps falling off

katie h.

A friend of mine has a Canon EOS 3. He also has two Sunpak 4000 PZ

flashes. Last week he had the Sunpak (it has a screw mount)

attached to his hot shoe and it just slipped off and hit the

ground. His other flash did the same thing yesterday. Has anyone

else had this problem of flashes just falling off, even when they're

tightened down? Is there a good solution?

Hi Katie, the only time I've had the problem is if I didn't "hunker down" the flash very well - or turned the wheel that tightens it in the wrong direction. Once, I was taking some pictures in the woods and happened to be standing on the foundation of an old house that had been there ages ago. I hadn't screwed my 550ex down tightly enough and it came flying off, and hit the concrete *hard*! (It really ticked me off - had I been standing 2 feet in any other direction it would've landed on nice, soft ground... but no!) The 550EX smacked the concrete and pretty much exploded into all of its parts! I figured it was doomed, but I scooped up all the bits, snapped it all back together and it still works great to this day. Anyhoo, I would just check to see if the Sunpack is in fact tightening properly when you turn the dial (assuming it works the same way) because it certainly should. If it does not, I would talk to Sunpack and ask them what's up. Unfortunately I know of no elegant trick to get it to stay if it won't tighten, short of duct tape. Good luck!

As has been mentioned, Canon Flash units have a locking pin that lock into the camera's hot shoe. Some third party flash units don't have this locking pin and are vastly more prone to slipping off. Anyway the solution is to buy a flash unit with the locking pin and make sure it works.