my "like-new" old SB26 flash can be used on this camera or will I

have to spring for a new DX model. And, does anyne have any

experience using a pocket wizard on this camera to fire of a set of

studio strobes? I guess having the PW sender attached to the camera

and firing the camera with the ML-L3? Also, can the camera be

attached to a PC with a "firewire"? Any assistance greatly

appreciated -- new to digital. Thank you, Dave

Pocket wizards on D70: no problems in my experience

SB-26 on D70: You can't usethe flash in any TL mode, it will be strictly manual or Auto

mode.

Firewire; no firewire port o nthe D70, USB (USB 2.0) I think) only.

If you are new to digital photography, spend an extra $50.00 and get a copy of "Real

World Digital Photography' second edition. I've been working digitallly since 2001 and still

find useful tips and tricks in there. If you will be using Adobe photoshop CS and shooting

NEF files, do not install the Nikon picture project software. Either get Nikon Capture 4.1.3

(4.2 will be out as soo nas the D2X hits the market in January) or use Adobe Camera RAW

in combination with the Browser in Photoshop CS to process your NEF images.

It's worth the money (to me anyway) to use a seperate card reader, rather than connecting the camera to the computer.

Especially since the camera doesn't have a firewire port...but you can upload images from one card, while you are still shooting with a second card. Huge timesaver.

• 1 month later...

***The only flash you can use with this camera are the SB 800 and SB 600.

Not quite true, K. Michael. I have been using my SB-28 on my D70 for a while now, and it works quite well-- but only in AUTO mode. In other words, it will work using the sensor built into the flash, not TTL. However, you should keep in mind that the SB-28 has what many shooters regard as one of the finest in-flash sensors ever made. Frankly, with my N90s it seemed to work better than the TTL modes in many cases.

Yesterday I picked up an SB-800, and from the testing I've done it seems to be a heck of a tool. The remote TTL using the on-camera flash in commander mode actually works! And it only takes two hours to figure it out and ten minutes to figure out how to set the camera and flash!

I've yet to use it on anything but my studio mannekin heads, however, and I understand that there can be a bad eye-blink problem with the pre-flash, but we'll see.

Best regards, -BC-