Visatec light kit, used purchase, comments?

john_sack

My photo store saw that I was doing an 8-weekend rental of a Visatec

3-head (600w/s) kit (with reflectors, grid set, soft box, umbrella;

no stands). The rental would have cost me $400; it is for a class

I'm taking in commercial lighting. (I'm a beginner with lighting,

and am mostly interested in lifestyle portraits.)

They have one kit that just came back reconditioned from the

manufacturer and has a 6-month warranty. They will sell me the kit

for $1200 (retail is something like $2400 or so).

Is this a good deal? I'll rent it for a weekend to try it out. But

since I'm a beginner I don't have much judgement.

I've looked at the Visatec site and specs. The modeling light is

halogent 150W. 3 stop continuous adjustment. Otherwise seems

pretty typical.

How easy is Visatec to fit to non-Visatec light modifiers? Easily

available speed rings and such?

Is there anything special I should ask about or ask for in the deal

since it is used?

Is there any way to battery power this kind of setup. I assume

not? If not, I'll use my Canon 580ex and 420ex when I need battery

portability.

Thanks for advice, folks. Much obliged to this group.

A 150w modelling lamp is just too dim, especially if you will be using these strobes for environmental portrature with existing ambient light. 600ws isn't much power when spread between 3 heads. On top of all that, these lights are used and reconditioned, not new.

Speedotron makes a nice, extremely small, 7lb 800ws black line pack which sells for $679 new. Speedotron 102 heads, rated for 2400ws are about $350 each new, and they have 250 w modeling lamps.

There are a lot of other choices out there for a similar amount of money.

Clarification: these are monolights, not a powerpack. So the 600w/s is per light, not split on a pack.

Thanks for the thought on modeling light evaluation, esp. in environmental circumstances. It is a halogen light, and I thought they would be brighter than a 150w incandescent "light bulb" as with the White Lightning set. I know my 50w halogen lights at home are damned bright.

John

"How easy is Visatec to fit to non-Visatec light modifiers? Easily available speed rings and such?"

That's the rub, tho' Chimera, I think it is, has some expensive speed rings that will fit.

The adjustment range isn't that great compared to what else is available these days. Otherwise, IMX, they've been well-built, rock-solid reliable performers.

The Visatec lights themselves are great. They are made by Broncolor, and I believe have the same speed-ring mount as the Impact series. They are incredibly consistent in output, and recharge quickly.

The downside is that there are few accessories, and what there is available is expensive. Also the softbox is not very quick to break-down or set-up (it's the only softbox I used, so maybe that's how they all are - for the money I was expecting something more polished and user-friendly). Also, I expected the barn doors to be a bit more effective than they turned out to be.

All that said, I was very happy with them using a narrow grid and a small (in real world terms) softbox for table-top work. I had to sell them recently, and the only reason I won't buy them again is because the 3-stop range is a bit short, and the selection of OEM light modifiers and accessories is fairly limited.

I have used a kit similiar to the ones you are describing. For enviornmentals the modeling may not be as bright (as stated), but in the studio, which is my main function, they are fantastic, more than enough power.

Accessories are a bit difficult to come by, but there are many 3rd party accs. the speed rings for them are usually described as being Broncolor Impact / Visatec, as they both use the same mounts. Visatec Softboxes arent difficult to break down or set up at all, and their mounts are very strong. 4 poles, 4 holes, and two fabrics. But chimera, plume, westcott, redwing, photoflex and others make modifiers that are compatible with Visatec, just make sure to get the speed ring. One thing i did was go to Calumet and get their speed ring which is compatible with all the stated brands. Its a little pricey, but its extremely versatile.

The deal you are getting is fantastic, i paid a slightly discounted price. just test them out first. I use mine at least once a week for the past year or so and havent had ANY problems. Remember its not WHAT light you get, its how you use it. Email me if you have any questions.

My only caveats are:

1.- Durability. If you are VERY delicate, and don?t let them drop, and don?t lend them, and don?t pack and unpack, they will last a good while. I should know, my school bought a set this year. Two heads have not made it to the end of class.

2.- Power. They are not very powerful in ambient light conditions; otherwise, they get the job done.

As for accesories, all I have seen tend to be expensive and dedicated mounts.

If I?m not mistaken, I haven?t seen a battery option, but it *should* be possible to adapt an existing system (quantum and others). I personaly would stick with the canon flashes. Less weight.

Other than the fact that these lights need tender, very loving care, I have grown to like their light weight, and easy controls.

They have three downsides as far as I can tell: weight -- a heavy monolight on a light

stand or boom makes some photographers nervous; limited power adjustment -- three

stops is not much (this can be over come with neutral density gels on the flash head);

expensive light modifiers. I have heard durability in both plus and minus colums. 150w

modeling light is not very bright, but if you are shooting digital and can look at a preview

and adjust your lights it is not that big of a deal. More than one photographer I know

switched their 250W bulbs to 150 because they liked it better.

600 w/s is not enough to overcome direct sunlight, but should be fine for everything else.

If you can read the negatives above and be fine with them, buy it. The price seems

reasonable to me.

Look for a system that will fit most of your needs most of the time and rent additional

equipment when you need a bigger system.

Consider this: how long will it take you to spend $1200 in rental fees? That answer alone

should tell you whether to buy the equipment of not.