OT: Leica MP, the original

paul_chan4

Paul,

Minimum? $20,000 - Maximum? Who knows? The market price will dictate this.

Regardless, I wouldn't even think of paying the minimum but, obviously, there's one

person who would. All I can say is, "All the more power to him/her."

Cheers

PS: Perhaps, I'm missing something here. Can anyone explain why this camera would

be commanding such a high price? This isn't said to be facetious... I'm just curious!

Someone should contact that charming older gentleman who retired from this forum about 2 years ago due to failing eye sight. He told a lovely story of getting his camera as a present from his family in the 50's, complete with the funny "winder thingy". He only learned of it's relative rarity shortly before he retired. I think I remember he had a kid that was eager to sell it off. I hope he either still has it -- or that his retirement is a LOT more comfortable. Can anyone find that thread with his story. It's worth a revisit. Cheers, Owen

"Guess none of you knows the Leica collectors' world. If everything is original,

including the Leicavit and the lens, it will command a price of USD45,000 to

$50,000."<p>

THat may be so. But paying half that amount on the basis of a few fuzzy

photos may not represent a bargain. I'm amazed a seller expects to get that

much money when they're too tight even to pay for supersized photos so a

buyer can see what they're getting, or to provide any details. <p>Still, I

suppose at that price, any prospective buyer can jet over and pick it up in

person - and if it's tat, one neg on your feedback iasn't too serious compared

with wasting $30K!

I remember drooling over used MP in a camera store window in New York back in 1963. It had a Summicron lens on it, showed a bit of brassing, and had a price tag of $600.00. I decided to stay with my III-C body, going for about $36.50 back then, with the used chrome $39.50 50/1.8 Canon lens. I was poor back then and $600 would buy a lot of smoke at $15.00 an ounce. And those were ADVERTISED prices. In person you could often negotiate a better price.

I should point out that this was in the early days of the "SLR Revolution" and Leicas, Canons, Contaxes and Nikons weren't selling worth a hoot. Contax ceased production followed by the Nikon S3 and SP, and new screw mount LTM lenses were being remaindered by Altman's in Chicago and Wall Street Camera in New York for a fraction of list price. Even $5.00 list price Leitz screw to bayonet adapters could be had for a buck each second hand. Same price for Leica cassettes including the can. Is history repeating itself? Are we bitching about "high" prices of used stuff when we should really be taking advantage of the "low" prices brought on by the "Digital Revolution"? As recently as 20 years ago you could buy LTM Leicas and Canons at prices that probably made them a better investment than many tech stocks. You certainly wouldn't have LOST money.

I have had lost hard-earned money on equities and stocks. And consider myself a fool many times over. But even losing out finacially in buying, using and selling Leicas over the years, I'm just as cheerful as the day when I owned my first M3 in the 60's. How's that for good economics?

I'd like to help put things in perspective by noting that some collectors pay similarly high prices for Baseball cards and rare currency bills, which are only pieces of paper and mustn't even be fondled! If one must pay huge piles of cash for old stuff, I'd rather have a Leica than a Baseball card any day. Best regards, Bill