Extension Tubes and focussing

david_henderson

Hello

I posted a more complex question in the Lighting forum a little time

ago and this aspect wan't answered, so I wonder whether anyone here

can help.

I've just bought an extension tube for my Bronica.

I understand that when using it I'll lose infinity focus. However in

practice I don't seem to be able to focus the camera well other than

at or near minimum focus distance. This is the case with each of my

lenses. Is this what you'd expect from a Bronica 36mm tube?

Thanks

The problem is that the helical focusing on lenses doesn't extend very far - from a few mm to 1-2 cm. 36 mm is so much extension that turning the focusing mount on the lens doesn't make a big difference (especially with shorter lenses.)

Tip: if you find the subject dim to focus (especially when checking DOF), try lighting it with a flashlight.

Thank you both. Keith, I can get focus at between 15.5" to 14" away with the 36mm tube fitted and that's from film plane to subject- are you measuring front element to subject?. If so, that all looks about right.

Robert, I have lenses 50/80/110 macro/150/250 and 2 x tc. You're right I can get to just 1:1 with the 50mm; about 1:1.6 with the 80mm; and about 1:2.5 with the 150, all at minimum focussing distance with the tube fitted. The 110 macro gives a fraction better magnification than the 80 - presumably that relates to its closer focus ability than that lens.

Sorry David I posted my reply not long after getting up this morning and wasn't really with it ;-)<p>The measurements I gave were for the resulting subject sizes. In other words the resulting subject sizes when using an 80mm and 32mm extension tube would be between 5.5" to 4.25". The distance from the film plane to subject would be much as you have indicated.